Question regarding the new New Day Timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Question regarding the new New Day Timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:10 am:

I received my new and improved New Day Timer several weeks ago from Snyder's and will be installing it tomorrow. The instructions said to blow it out occasionally, but said nothing about lubrication. Does the New day Timer require lubrication? With metal on metal contact, it seems like it would need some sort of lubrication to prevent excessive wear to the brush and contacts and to prevent overheating. Thank you. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 03:41 am:

Hi Jim,

New Days run dry. I have used them for decades with good results. Clean them out once in awhile and that is about all that they need. Beware the older ones with the letter S molded on them as they are soft and wear out surprisingly fast. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 04:17 am:

Glen Chaffin suggested replacing the bronze brush with generator carbon to reduce wear, so I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 07:13 am:

Seems like the words "Do not oil" or something similar are molded right into the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:48 am:

The good old ones had "No Oiling" in relief.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Somewhere in the chequered history of repro New Day timers, some had brush springs which were way too strong, leading to rapid wear of the brush and timer. Hopefully these new offerings are not like that. The remedy was to fit a spring from a cheap ballpoint pen.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 11:14 am:

Steve, is there anyone that provides fitted New day Timer carbon brushes? I don't have a spare carbon brush with which to make one. How much would you charge to make me one like yours, that is, if you would consider doing it, or can find the time to do so? If you could do it, would you need for me to send you my brush holder? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

This is Tom Carnegie wearing his Tip-top timer hat. If this seems like an info-mercial, I am sorry. I try to stay out of timer threads on this forum due to a conflict of interest, but I would like to stop what I consider bad information. When we developed the "New" New Day timer, our goal was to duplicate the tried and true design. We tried to exactly duplicate the materials that made the original New Day such a wonderful timer.

The first prototype was made with a new material that was supposedly a stronger, higher temperature space age material. I rejected it. I wanted proper actual bakelite, which is what the new timer cases are made of. We also experimented with a variety of materials for the brush element. In the end, we went with brass, same as the original New Days used. We duplicated the design and tension of the original spring. With this combination, we have units in the field with many thousands of miles with very little wear.

We don't recommend carbon brush elements for a number of reasons. We had trouble with them "tracking" the commutator, which resulted in poor running. Also, a carbon brush has higher resistance than a metal brush which lowers the overall efficiency of the ignition system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

The "new" New Day timers with the brass brush works fantastic. Thank you Tom for a great product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

HUH! Late to the party again. I was just going to say they did a lot of research and testing before they started making these again. I'd just put it on and run it and run it and run it and.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

When I run original New Day timers I like to place a little Vaseline on them, (NOT WHERE THE BRUSH RUNS) to catch the dust,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

It's best to run a seal on the front of the camshaft when running a New Day. They don't like oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

Tom, thanks. That will save some work. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

Thanks everyone. I'll run it as is. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration