AC brakes for a 26/27?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: AC brakes for a 26/27?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:41 am:

So I have been doing some thinking.

Eventually, my speedster will have a Warford transmission. Given this, I have been told that I must have a properly functioning brake that is not in front of the Warford.

Both axles that are coming with the car are 26/27's and I believe the wire wheels are model T as well. Is there a way to change the rear drums to -25's so I can get a set of AC brakes? I really don't want to shell out the $900 for a set of RM's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Well, it's usually easy and cheap to find a set of small drum axle housings, then you could install the innards from your '26/'27 axle in it - and thus get a good checkup of your axle as well :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:56 am:

Originally, AC made the big drum outside brakes. That is where most of the pattern came from to make the new Rocky Mountain brakes available today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 10:04 am:

If you're not in a hurry, then keep a lookout for vintage outside brakes fitting '26/'27 at ebay or swap meets - they surface from time to time and should be cheaper than the new RM ( and additionally they would probably work better in reverse :-) ). I have a set from a late 20's Chxxy that can be adapted to the 11" '26/'27 drums with some creativity like making a few brackets and links.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Rocky Mountain Brakes. They make a version for the 26-7 large drums.
Rocky Mountain Brake Co. Inc
39810 Bella Vista Road
Temecula, CA 92592
Phone 951-676-1746

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 11:29 am:

James

Depends on the security you want for braking, for a speedster going fast means having brakes to match. Putting outside RM brakes on those large drums is the better, yes some $$,but you have speedster and that means stopping.

You could just use your '26-'27 large drum emergency brakes, when lined well with new linings, and make that a good stopper.

Keep the trans brake active, but when needed, pull on the handle to stop quicker or if the axillary trans goes into neutral as the trans brake then is useless.

Some add a cross shaft and connect the internal emergency brake shoes to the brake pedal and use the bigger internal shoes as service brake.

Choice is yours, $$ consideration, if that is the sole reason to not add outside brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

I use my A/C brakes with the pedal through an equalizer. I found a set of ac brakes at Chickasha cheap with new linings. The ac brakes on my 11 openrunabout come on before the trans brake and will lock up the rear wheels. I'm going to install front brakes on the speedster ( small drum) also hooked to the pedal through and equalizer. That leaves the parking brake as a parking brake. You can see the car on my Facebook page as I can't post here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Ac brakes are not that hard to make. I seen rockeys at Chickasha used going for 100.00$. Lots of them. I personally don't care for them but there better than nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Rich,
Rockies for $100? That's a bargain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

I know it. I say most of the used ones in good shape were from 150 to 250. Still a bargain. I should have bought some. When I say the ac set I jumped on it. Now I have them when I get time before I install them on the speedster I'm going to build another set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

I saw one set of first series Rocky Mountain Brakes at Chickasha for $600. You would still have to install the cams on each brake band to make them original, and there were no attaching parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 08:57 am:

For a speedster you should consider sure stop disk brakes for the rear. Better stopping going forward and in reverse. I believe Birdhaven carries these now.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration