Fuel Stabiliser and ethanol fuel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fuel Stabiliser and ethanol fuel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

I have used fuel stabiliser in the past, but that was long before ethanol became the E.P.A.'s oxygenate (so long M.T.B.E.) of choice.

Besides keeping the tank as full as practical, what product do you use? And, is what you have used specifically formulated to address the effects of ethanol? In particular I'm interested in your real world experience but all input is appreciated.

Thanks, Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

I have not used fuel stabilizer because on one of the Ts we used to own, the previous owner had used it and it left everything sticky that it touched. I have just used the regular ethanol gas in the past. I have had problems with vapor lock and most of the guys around here have laid it on the alcohol in the fuel. They said they are going to QTs alcohol free gas because it stops vapor lock. I cant say I have had trouble with "old" gas, that is 5 or 6 months old, going "bad" in my cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

Fuel stabilizer has ZERO effect on ethanol.

There are many many stations that sell non-ethanol gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

I've ben using 10% ethanol gas for years with no trouble so far. Never use stabilizer either. Keep gas in mowers, lawn care equipment, my Model T, etc. with no problems. Last week I started up my lawn mower that takes regular gas. First start since September with about a half gallon in a two gallon tank. Started right up, now problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

We have been following this subject for many years in my other hobby, military vehicles. We have not come across or heard of an additive that will prevent ethynol gasoline from turning to glue in an aspirated fuel system.

We are advocating running on "clean" gas and most do so. It seems that if you go through a tank of gas rather quickly and then use clean gas for your last few tanks of the season, trouble can be reduced.

A fuel wholesaler nearby sells clean gas and we fill up our vehicles and jerry cans for use to top off and for outboard motors and lawn equiptment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

That last line should read "no problems."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

Dave Barker,

Me too. I don't worry about any of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Tim's right. The stuff has zero effect on ethanol. It also has zero effect on regular old style fuel. It does have an effect on your wallet. Makes it lighter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

Hmm, funny, fuel is never in my tank long enough to need any stabilizing. I just run it until it's gone and then refill and repeat. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

I heard all the war stories about ethanol in the gas but didn't pay a lot attention to them. That was until I tried to start my mini-tiller for the garden. I use it about 6 times a year and store it in the barn. It would not start and I checked to see if there was gas. About a 1/4 tank. Fooled around with it and finally took the carb apart. Some gas fell on the concrete as I opened the carb and I noticed water droplets bouncing on the concrete. Pure water. I don't remember this happening when I used non-ethanol gas for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 06:16 am:

A lot of folks I know around here in lake country use Marine Stabil in the outboard tanks. I use the stuff in my yard equipment that just doesn't go through an entire tank between uses. I've also used it in the Model T to some extent. But most of the time I prefer to just bite the bullet and use non-oxygenated fuel. My rule is that I don't like letting oxygenated fuels sit in the tank for any more than 30 days if the equipment isn't being used. Leaving a tank full doesn't seem to make much difference in preventing water from accumulating in the gas tank. Just one of those realities you have to adjust to I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 07:10 am:

Never used the Sta-Bil stuff until about two years ago.

Then when I did, it made the gas coat the inside of an Edelbrock 1405 with a white, sticky mess.

I quit using it and haven't had the same problem.

I've found that the 10% ethanol they sell around here has a shorter shelf life than non-ethanol gas, but it'll still last several months without degrading too much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 07:51 am:

R.S., you are right. Ethanol fuel draws moisture like crazy. It also coats everything with a yellow-ish residue. Something from the corn just maybe? If I had a dollar for every time I've told "my story" about learning the value of adding StaBil every fall to my '94 T-bird when I lay it up for the winter I'd be rich. I swear by it. So does the T-bird, believe me. Nuff said. Was just at a fellow club member's place this week in my '20 and we got to talking about how short the shelf life is of todays gasoline. He said he had some gas he that he used to clean out an engine pan with some baffles in it. Couldn't get all the fuel out, so he threw a match at it..(from a distance), the lighted match hit the fuel and went out! Said he tried several times, same result. Not even enough volatile vapor to make a "poof". I've heard this before "through the grapevine" but never face to face. He wasn't joking. Today's gasoline sucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 08:11 am:

Ethanol fuel has had zero effect on any of my engines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 11:29 am:

I have never had a problem with our California gas going bad in my T's. Even in the yard equipment, chain saws etc. They sit all winter and start right up in the fall. Never used any type of stabilizer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

I have had problems with old gas in my 4v Holley carbs. Front pumps stick and like Tim W. Said the inside of your carb will turn yellowish/ brown color if it sits for a month or so without driving the car. I don't always drive my mustang weekly any more. Just to much fun fooling with model A s and T s right now. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

And, if you have any shellac sealed cork floats or gaskets in your equiptment and the gas with alcohol gets to it, it will dissolve the shellac.

Many gas tank sending units back in the day had shellac sealed cork floats. Now they sink.

I donated a boat to charity one time a few years ago and the guy that picked it up said the first thing they do is clean the carb and pull out al the lines and hoses due to the varnish sticky build up of the ethynol gas.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration