Old hard tire's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old hard tire's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

summer is comeing to Vermont,good hot sun,going to mount four 30\3 1\2 tires,rims cleaned painted,new tubes.tires look to be in wonderfull condition,no cracks,a little stiff,is there a potion i can rub on them to ease assembly?and soften the rubber?i've heard some folks having a bad time with this job.i have good tire tools and a good place to lay the tires in the sun on a black piece of rubber.holding them to the rim they look to be a bit smaller,so it will be tough to pull them into place.wheel on car or off?, thank you for your help.GREG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

This job can be done with the wheel on or off. If you put the wheel on, leave the valve hole to the top so that you can start with the valve first. You need to set the tires in the sun to get as hot as possible. They will stretch better when warm. Use talcum powder on the tube and you might try some soap suds on the edge of the bead. Pump up the tubes just enough to keep shape and insert into the tire. If you are using flaps also insert them inside the tire. They should be between the tube and the tire, not between the tire and rim. If you are using demountable rims you want to put the spare with the valve up so that rain doesn't get in around the stem. If you want the name of the tire at the top, the valve stem should be in the middle of the name. Do this on all tires so that any one of them can be used as a spare.

Next step insert the inside edge of the tire into the rim next to the valve stem. Some installers like to cut out a v shape in the bead, just enough so that the stem can fit between the edges of the bead. Insert the inside edge of the tire into the rim next to the valve stem. put the valve through the opening in the rim and work the inside edge of the tire onto the rim. Two tools and 4 hands make it easier, but it can be done by one person. As you work around the tire, pry the tire over the rim and leave one tool in place. Then take the other tool and pry another area of the tire. If you are using two people and more than two tire irons, you can leave the second tool in place and take a third one and pry another part of the tire on the rim, then take the tool which was between the others and pry another area until you get all the way around the tire. Then take the outside edge of the tire and pry it on likewise. When you get the tire on, pump up the tire to full pressure and then let out the pressure. That way any wrinkles in the tube should flatten out. Then fill to 60 psi. That is the recommended pressure between 55 and 60.

Two other ways to install: Lay the rim on a soft surface with the outside of the rim down. Install in the same manor but from the back side of the rim. That way if you chip the paint on the rim it will be on the inside and not show as much as it would on the outside. The other way would be to install both edges of the tire on the rim at the same time.

Anyway, you can experiment and decide which way is easiest for you.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Look up installing using garbage bags-------I could not believe how easy and fast it was using only his hands with no tools---- sorry I can not find but am sure someone has that link!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

I used the trash bag technique on my wire wheels and they still took a tire spoon for the last few inches, but overall when on with just me kneeling of the tire all the way around.
On my demountable, the rim turnbuckle that I used to reduce the size of the rim made the tires go on with just pushing.

I don't know if the trash bas thing will work on tires or tubes where the valve stem has to go in first as you can't get the bag under it. But the thinking of having the two layers of the trash bag sliding on each other makes perfect sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Ruglyde from Napa. Part number 765-1338. It's approximately $14 for a gallon, probably more than you'll ever need. Apply onto rim and tire bead with a small paint brush ( 1" ).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

I use talcum (baby) power. Still messy but cleanup is easy with air hose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

I use Murphy's Oil Soap. I install the tire as far as it will go on the rim and then I apply it to the tire bead with a paint brush. Rinse with water when your done and you have a nice clean tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

I also use powder on the inside of the tire so the tube can straighten itself out when I install air in the tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

Norman T Kling - that is the best instruction I've ever heard or read for installing a tire on a Model T rim. Thank you !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Richard,
The sun and a hot day are your best friends when changing tires.
I recently changed the 45 + year old tires on my T.
I put them in the sun until they were almost too hot to handle and they easily came off the rims.
I also put the new tires in the sun before installing them and it was easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

Last week I had a real hard time installing 2 new 30X3 1/2 tires. I'm sure they were molded a bit smaller that they should have been, I had to stretch them on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

thank you all for your thoughtfullness.im going to atack them tire's like I know what im doing.Greg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:44 am:

If you look in the Snyder's tire section you will see a warning on keeping the clincher tires inflated to 55-60 psig to prevent tire slippage and blowouts ( good advice - from experience). I had tended to keep pressures lower in old tires. The trick on Ford wires (and motorcycle tires as well) is to keep the beads in the drop center until you get the tire completely levered on - both sides tend to creep onto the rim which makes it much harder to lever the last portion on.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration