An auto road in Oregon-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: An auto road in Oregon-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

It must not have rained that day!

Can you decipher the words at the bottom?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

11038? Auto roads near McMinnville Ore
The roads of a thousand wonders

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

Can you imagine how those people felt? Such a wonderful, smooth, wide road. That nice little bridge up ahead. Only a few years before that, any road there would likely have been nothing more than a wagon and horse trail. The bridge? Maybe a few felled trees with dirt thrown on top to even it out.
I want to just climb into that photo and walk for hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

I'd rather climb into that photo and drive that car for hours!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

I wonder what that stretch of road looks like now ? Four lanes ? Take out all the curves ?

Good roads are nice, but I long for the past. Just in the last 10-20 years, some of the loveliest drives on old 2-lane roads, scenic, and interesting have succumbed to "improvement".

I guess we're a little conflicted ? We worship at the shrine of the initial moving force that has brought us acres of asphalt, ridiculous highway speeds, incredible ugliness and . . . vinyl siding. I guess we all wish things would have just stopped as they were in this picture ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

Not me, Rich. I had my first malignant melanoma at age 28, and my fifth a year ago. I'm now 80. If I'd been 28 when that picture was taken and had had a melanoma, I wouldn't have made it to 29.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

I've never been there, but I think this is it. I looked around google earth, and checked out the spots where roads crossed creeks. Chris Landry, what do you think? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

Ed, I bet you're pretty durn close to the spot, if not right on. Pretty country, but I like the dirt road better.

Gil, I overlooked the benefits of medical technology in the intervening 90 years or so . . . I'd like to have that, and an unchanged landscape . . . I'm grateful you're with us !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 11:18 pm:

Sure, dirt roads are nice- unless it rains or snows or a lot of heavy trucks drive on them, or they need to be graded, or a passing vehicle kicks up a rock onto your windshield or your face when your on a bike...
They are the best though if you want to turn around a dozer on them, load off-road construction equipment or cross over them with a steel wheeled tractor with lugs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:14 am:

Dale, I bet the majority of us here would take the risk of driving this wonderful road without hesitation...Just saying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 05:21 am:

I like driving on the local country roads around here in the T, many of them are very similar to the one that Herb posted. On a down side though, I got caught on a country dirt road just after the frost went out once with one of my daughters and my grandson. It was a tough fight, leaving six inch deep ruts fighting up and down hill for about a half mile to get out of there. The old '25 coupe got us home though, thanks to the Kevlar bands and a flat tube radiator. That made a believer out of me for the toughness of a T. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 08:14 am:

Thankfully I have plenty of dirt roads near me to drive my Ts on.

Happy motoring,

Warren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxvqmf_2nlc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyJtIbWzKQo&t=3s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 11:55 am:

John, I got nothing against them either, I live on a "seasonal" dirt road (I Maintain it for myself and the neighbors in the winter with a beat up old Allis Chalmers "D" grader) and love driving the dirt back roads and two-track truck trails on an off day.
Its just my observation that a freshly formed dirt road such as the one pictured here can go to hell in a matter of minutes in inclement weather and when that happens it is always a relief to pull out onto the nice, smooth, paved main road, especially when underpowered and heavily loaded!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

Ed, I think you got it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Still have plenty of roads like that in our part of the world :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

Not quite wide enough for a T . . . Dang it !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration