MODEL T DESIGN FLAW!!!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: MODEL T DESIGN FLAW!!!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

Did the designers of the Model T include this into the "T" design? Every time I drop a nut, bolt, screw, part or tool, it lands just out of my easy reach. Or is it just me?
Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

It's not just when wrenching on the T - it's a general design flaw of the whole world, I think ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

You need to get the aftermarket accessory set of longer arms. They are available from Dr. Mac's or Dr. Langs. You probably got the stock 32" set with your T. You need to go with the 35/36" option.
Great for reaching those dropped pieces and for tying your shoes...or affixing your Velcro straps on your shoes, or slipping on your loafers or slippers, depending on your age.

I've had a set of the longer arms for over 60 years and they haven't let me down yet. When attached to a 5ft 16" frame, you will do well in life.

Get a pair and we can call you "stretch".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

If you can't afford the longer arms accessory try the all new EXTENDABLE MAGNETIC FINGER. Just one is all you need. Out of politeness and decency they are not available in the middle size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

The middle size already attracts enough attention. Have you seen the optional iron opposite hand? Great for applause.

Like now...

I'll be here all week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

The other day, three parts hit the floor and went where all the spiders hide (brrrr,chill spine)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

I think the cotter pins for throttle linkage are actually disappearing once they hit the floor!!! : )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

Wait till you drop something down into "The opening pit of hell",...AKA down the Hogshead. :-( :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Thats why Henry put those V shaped rods front and rear. When you drop something it hits the rod and gets deflected in any of about 100 directions. The only solution is a magnetic garage floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

Dispersion of dropped objects is according to Murphy's law of selective gravitation. Things when dropped will generally fall to a location unreachable by any tool or device known to mankind. Things when dropped only need .0001 inch of clearance to slide through any sort of grating or rectangular shaped slot. Once below that grating the object then falls victim to the same rule that was mentioned as being unreachable by any device known to mankind. Generally gratings and rectangular slots are "one-way" devices.

There is another law known as O'Tool's corollary which is sort of complicated but essentially states that Murphy was an optimist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:37 am:

Dropped a copper exhaust manifold sealing ring the other night, which I retrieved after a good 30 minutes, seems it fell down between the starter motor and the block and was invisible to the human eye ( this human's eyes anyway)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 05:08 am:

Don't forget though, once you have replaced said lost object, you will find it in a very short while in an obvious place. :-( :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 06:16 am:

I beg to differ John,

O'Tools Law states:

"The distance that a fastener or tool will travel when dropped is directly proportional to the degree to which it is currently needed in the project. Once that need is no longer present (because a new tool or fastener is secured) it will make its presence known and will remain underfoot and in plain reach."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 06:19 am:

And....I think Newton's Fourth Law was also trying to state the same principle:

"Objects needed will remain in motion, out of reach. Objects not needed will remain at rest...in plain sight"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 07:54 am:

Rust holes and rotten would help with this problem. When Im working on the T I spread a canvas cloth under it to catch treasure and nuts/bolts. So far Ive turned up several coins from the early 20s and some hair pins from the 40s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 07:57 am:

Here all the while I thought the only design flaw of a Model T was that it causes one to want more than one, or two, or even three! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:56 am:

I've installed the Model T parts retention trays. Also known as engine pans. I wipe up the oil about once a week and find everything from cotter pins, castle nuts and oil breather caps to missing wrist watches and Jimmy Hoffa.

I think the treasure of Oak Island is in thre somewhere. I've already referred to my T as a money pit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 11:51 am:

I have found a cure for wanting more T's. I attend our local weekly T shop
night at The Ranch and discover I have more things to buy for the ONE T that
I already have, ... and it still isn't ready for the road as I want it to be ! What
would I do with a second T except have another vehicle in my way and no money
to spend on it ? !!!

As for the tools and parts, ... is it just me, of has anyone else noticed that the
chances of the battery on your tool going dead are directly proportionate to the
nature of the work .... at the bench, full charge. Hanging upside down, 3 floors
off the ground, trying to attach a gutter on a soffit in a rain storm, definitely need
to go all the way back to the shop and swap for a fresh battery. But only after
you get ONE screw in, so the weight of the gutter will damage it if you let go,
and the dead battery will not allow you to back the ONE screw out, AND no one
is around to hold it or get you a fresh battery.

Don't ask my how I know this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

Burger, if your having trouble with a dead tool after one screw.........................
Your working it to hard???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

I don't understand the problem in finding dropped items.

I always find them in the same place -

The last place I look!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

I tightened a squeaking fender with a 1/2" socket removed the ratchet and the socket stayed behind and I never noticed. I searched every where for that socket and never did find it, so I bought a new one. One day about 2 years later the same fender started to squeak again, I couldn't understand why the 1/2" socket wouldn't fit on the bolt, when I cleaned off the bolt the missing socket suddenly appeared, it was still on the bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

In the racing business, we would want to find the exact center of the car. To do this, you just needed to drop a nut, bolt, or washer. Some how it always goes under the car, to the exact center, front to back, and side to side.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration