New wiring harness rear light lead install?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New wiring harness rear light lead install?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Hi I have the lighting harness original style: https://www.modeltford.com/item/5041.aspx The long black lead I presume goes to the rear light. How do you put it on without cutting it to get it through the little epoxy disk in the bulb socket?

Also on this harness does the solid red go to the magneto and yellow wires goes to what? No idea what the solid yellow wire goes to.

Here is my rear light socket with the current lead that was cut put through then spliced:
Rear light socket.

Here is the final lead from the new harness that is solid all the way. I would hate to cut it and splice it.
Rear harness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

Without being on the scene to see the details I can't tell you about the tail light, but here's where all the wires go:

Of course, this assumes that the wiring harness is made correctly with the right colors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

That tail lamp wire terminal is for the stock Ford electric rear lamp. That lamp has a socket with a square female terminal. The wire's terminal is fitted direct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

I am going to say red is magneto and yellow is starter switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

I have one of these: https://www.modeltford.com/item/6593TL-R.aspx

Maybe I could push it through and put a glob of solder on it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

Ignacio,Not the same as an original tail light .You can buy a female coupling that the spade will fit in. Try a Lowes electric Isle for them or an electric supplier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Red is magneto to switch.

There should be two yellow wires. One is battery power (taken at the starter switch to save wire and IIRC has a bigger end ring crimped on it) to terminal block to ammeter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

I would solder a bullet on the end of the lead from the tail light and use a bullet connector.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

Ignacio, your rear light is a dual filiment style. That was never part of an original T, but a good idea for today's times. It will allow it to act just like a modern taillight, in that you can have a running light and a brake light (and turn signal if you wish).

However, your original lighting harness you bought does not have the wires needed to add the brake light function. They would have to be added separately.

I can not comment on how to hook to that taillight socket as I use a different style on mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

Also, yes, you are right in that the long black lead goes to the single left side light as original. As I noted above, you will have to add wires for the right side and brake light function.

Again, the light you show in the link above is a dual filiment style bulb, not a single filiment that an original would have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

I wonder why your long black wire is not green? It should be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Dave

The tail lamp wire changed to black at later production, note the '26-'27 wiring diagram with coil box on engine.

"Black" tail lamp wire

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration