OT - When it rains it pours.... brand new titanium hip (i know, should be vanadium )

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - When it rains it pours.... brand new titanium hip (i know, should be vanadium )
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:31 am:

To add insult to injury, one more thing to keep me from enjoying our hobby. Today I had my hip replaced, making four for four (both knees, now both hips).

My goal is to be cranking and driving the Model K during the Speedster Reunion......

Left, normal knee. Center, my left knee, prior to today's surgery. Right, my right knee, replaced four years ago, (and what I presume the left knee looks like now...). Let the rehab begin.......

Selfie just after coming out of surgery:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:39 am:

And, the ultimate "drip pan." I may need to incorporate this on the Model N and K. Drainage from the incision goes to a collapsible "drip pan.'

Just so I don't become a "total loss system." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 01:04 am:

Gonna have to start calling you "Steve Austin"!
You do know the drill. Do what the doctors and nurses and rehab tells you. Get better in a timely manner my friend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 01:06 am:

Thanks Wayne. Anyone who knows me knows my middle name is (im)patience...... :-)

Seriously, thank you for the kind sentiment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 01:11 am:

You may not want to hear this unless you are close to the ICU ....

But you kinda remind me of DA BURGER ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 02:00 am:

Jim,
Say it ain't soooooo.......
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 04:58 am:

Damn Rob, you just can't catch a break can you!!! Hang in there, you'll get through all of this. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 07:32 am:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 07:43 am:

Speedy recovery to you Rob! So far I've been able to avoid knife's on both one knee and my shoulder. We'll see how long I can go. When it comes to patience, I'm like you. My wife says I'll never be a doctor, "Because I have no patience(ts)"! Ha ha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 07:48 am:

Being an old hand at this sort of thing, you'll be up and about in no time :-) Heal fast and get to crankin'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 08:09 am:

Rob I hope they used genuine not bogus parts on you! get well soon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 11:06 am:

I've had both shoulders and a hip replaced. My knees are still OEM. Good luck, and do the rehab. But I've seen the videos of you pumping iron, so you must be doing something right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 11:57 am:

Rob,

Looks like you came through with your sense of humor intact. By now you've proven the old adage that they can't keep a good man down. Way to go !

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

Zoiks! You have more new parts than my Crappy T!
Shoot, they'll throw you outta there real soon and prolly make you walk out to the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

I hope that hey put in a provision for grease fitting's or flip top oilers.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!He might need them down the road a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

Just had after thought--- wait till he goes thru the metal; detector at the airport, it will sound like a fire alarm and they may want to do a strip search and then they will do a body cavity search and who know what will follow, maybe two or three xray's, he will be the talk of the airport. The first guy with all metal of non-bone joints!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

Rob,

Tis' the case so I am sad to report.

I have supped twice with DA BURGER .....

All kidding aside - he is a great guy - you do look like him.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Thanks guys...

Bill, this isn't my first rodeo. I did both knees 9 years ago and the other hip 4. After the knees, I did New London to New Brighton six weeks later, carrying my crutches on the side of our Model N.

I''m checking out at 1:30, 21 hours after surgery..... Speedster Reunion here I come....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k24kxd6wl8xjl1n/Video%20Apr%2006%2C%2011%2030%2058%20AM.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

-Best wishes, Rob!-
Faced with a 'replacement' myself, here's wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery. My doc informs me to expect six-months' before returning to 'normal' activities... Do what they tell ya, proper therapy, and not to push it either. (There are still problems for me from an earlier surgery because I was too 'independent'...)
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

Fantastic progress, Rob. So far, my joints seem to be performing OK, but if or when my time comes I'll call you to get the name of your surgeon.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

WOW, 21 hours is impressive !! I was out 3 days later though I understand there is a new procedure where they don't have to cut muscles and tendons. I believe we spoke about that when you had your first one done. All the best !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

Ouch!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

I am only half way there - one new knee and one new hip. After the Hip I was home after three days, Knee took longer. It is great what they can do these days to help us older folk stay on our feet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

Get well and heal fast friend!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

Rob,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! We will be praying for you.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Are you home yet? I happen to know there are some hay bales that need to be stacked!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

Thanks guys. Yes, home and sore. Now the real work begins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

Yes, best wishes from Minnesota for a speedy recovery....often check for periodic posting about history of or videos of the SPECIAL K.....get well soon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

Rob,
Did the doc say if you'll be able to run a 4 minute mile now? :-)
Take it slow, eat your vitamins and heal quick. God bless,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

Rob get mobile ASAP.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Rob,

You and I are both "4 Bangers" - 2 knees and 2 hips. You will be cranking the K in no time.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I am 5 weeks post op from the eighth surgery on my left knee. Got MRSA STaff blood poisoning after orthoscopic surgery. 4 1/2 months in hospital. Got another MRSA infection in an abscess that nearly went to the prosthesis. Right knee replacement, no problem. My mother had both knees, both hips, both shoulders, one elbo, four buckles in one hand.
Get better quickly. I hope that someday I will get to see your "K". I followed it as you were rebuilding it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

Rob, Here's hoping for a complete and somewhat speedy recovery. We want it to turn out 100%!!!
Best wishes,
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:45 am:

they put medal on medal implants in me bad news. they ended up going back in and removing it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 11:38 am:

We can rebuild him, we have the technology! LOL Hope you feel better fast. That hip replacement stuff is rough.

Question - did they go in through the front or through the back? I know when they did my dad's it was basically through his cheek, but since then they've started going through the front of your leg and supposedly the recovery is WAY faster and easier. It took my dad right about a year to really be back 100%.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

Wish you a good and fast recovery! I am very lucky with a stroke effecting one leg but that's all. After a year its as good as it gets with only two Lipitor and one vitamin D per day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

Thanks guys...

Seth,
My other was through the back, and that leg was never as the good (now bad) one. I've been told the front is much better, no muscles cut. I'll know more in a few weeks..

The left front of my thigh/hip. Staples out in two weeks:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

If anybody wants a treat, check out the You Tube videos for hip replacement surgery :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Rob,I thought that looked like the Tom Brady Football [Deflate Gate] Get well Soon!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

Hope you are doing well Rob. You have more experience than myself with this but friends I have told me the only regret they have had is that they waited too long for relief. The procedure is nothing to worry about but I always am concerned with hospital infections. Please stay off pain pills as much as possible.

Your original radio graphs confuse me regarding your left and right knee. Your knee (patella is the knee cap, femur and then the tibia and fibula all go together) looks bad and wrong. What I see is the top of a femur on the left with good space, in the center is a bad interspatial area and on the right the head of the femur is cut off and split with a joint replacement. That isn't your knee it is your pelvis and hip.

Stay well and take ALL the antibiotics. Hospital infections are super bugs.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

Rob, Hope your feeling better real soon, did you happen to ask if they could replace a ball socket on a T pan. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

Tim,
You're right, I inadvertently wrote "knee" when I was thinking and showing "hip." Oh well, had the knees done nine years ago...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration