Correct carb mount bolt size?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Correct carb mount bolt size?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 01:33 am:

Hi my carb mount bolts are almost certainly wrong and bad. What is the correct size?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 02:42 am:

3 8 x 24

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 08:51 am:

Thanks, what length and is it a castle nut?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 09:26 am:

Bolt goes head side on carb flange, is 1 3/8" long, hex nut only. Pull it tight to prevent leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 09:33 am:

I've seen both kinds of bolts used, 3/8-24 and 3/8-16. Length is 11/8". Regular hex nut, not castle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 09:34 am:

Ignacio-
If you take a 7/16" nut, drill it out and re-tap the hole for the 3/8-24 thread, you can easily put a 1/2" wrench on the nut to tighten it.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 09:40 am:

Uh-oh. Another controversy. I wonder if anybody has listed all the fasteners on the Rip car. That would be a good reference for what's correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Keith, how can you tap out 7/16 hole to 3/8 which is smaller?????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 09:50 am:

I think Keith must mean to say 5/16". But I have no trouble reaching the 3/8" nut with a 9/16" socket of the right length. If you need a backup on the bolt, a crowfoot works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Steve

To reduce controversy, check of Parts Book, July 1, '24.

Lists the Carb Flange Bolt as #4130 and in parentheses another part that can be used, #3072.

#3072 is C.C. and Cyl. Cover Cap Screw, and that bolt is listed as being 3/8" x 1" long!

For kickers, the #4130B is the Carb Flange Bolt Nut,

and that has order substitute being #3066B-----"Inlet and Exhaust Clamp Stud Nut"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 11:40 am:

And the pitch on those is 24. Controversy settled. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

I'm sorry but no way. No cotter keys? ;-) ;-)
No, wait. I have my bolts in backwards. Sorry.
Golly Ignacio, I do hope your tongue was firmly implanted in your cheek but I hear you loud and clear!
My hearing is crap.
20 years ago I used a lotta nylock nuts on my Crappy T Lizzhe. I know that was wrong but :-p. I'm trying to be good on my '18 but it is difficult...
:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration