Help reading glass diagrams?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help reading glass diagrams?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

I want to be sure I understand the two differing measurements for width and for height. My guess is that the varying measurements indicate a permissible range. Is that right, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

yes that is telling you max and min. and as much as that is we in the trade would say plus or minus a hoe handle. philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

Correct, the dual dimensions indicate the min and max tolerances. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

Best way to get it right is to take your frame to the glass store with the diagram and have them install it. I did that and am satisfied with the work.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

The only glass shop here in Podunk isn't that confident. They want me to make a template for them. I think I'll shop around in other towns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

I guess it's the luck of the draw. The local glass shop here in Hillsboro, MO (population 2825) did a great job on Betsy's windshield. I took them the frames with the old plate glass in them and they gave me back my frames with laminated glass in them in a little over a week. They were able to re-use the old channels. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

I guess I agree with Philip and Mark that the two adjacent dimensions are max and min, however I'm not too thrilled by the draftsman's cutesy technique.

A draftsman's job is to accurately and clearly describe the pertinent details required to manufacture a part. What he did was not clear. Straddling an extension line with a max-min callout makes one wonder if some bizarre fraction wasn't intended. That, in addition to the crowded detail of the upper left hand corner of the windshield are bound to cause substantial confusion.

I don't blame the glass shop for asking for some alternate information (the template) before cutting material. Or at least he could have communicated his concerns to the customer and reached an agreement on the meaning of the drawing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

Try Lewis St. Glass in Wichita. They do most of the antique cars in the area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

I'd shop around Steve.

My glass shop here didn't blink an eye when I asked them to work off of measurements. They had a complete upper glass to work from and measurements only for my bottom glass.

And yes....those are min/max numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

Try Lewis St. Glass in Wichita. They do most of the antique cars in the area.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration