Questions/advice about shipping to Australia

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Questions/advice about shipping to Australia
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

Looking for suggestions/advice regarding shipping to Australia.

I have some small parts that someone from Australia is interested in buying.

I prefer shipping via US mail (USPS) and not FedEx or UPS.

It will be a small package between 3 and 4 lbs. so I can ship via USPS First Class Package International.

While doing my research, I believe all I need is to fill out a PS Form 2976 Customs Declaration CN22 at the Post Office.

Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks for your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

Speaking from regularly being on the receiving end of shipments from the USofA to Australia, I will vouch for the USPS system. As I write this, I have some T parts on the way using USPS.
In the last quarter of a century, I've imported many, many parts in order to satisfy my Model T, Vintage Farm Engine and N Scale Model Railroading addictions and I can safely say that The USPS Priority Mail International and First Class Package International has never let me down.
BUT, I have also used UPS and FedEx....both MUCH more expensive and both have proven to be less reliable than the USPS. (Some of you may remember FedEx losing my new Brassworks radiator for example)
However, I have no experience with the forms you'll need to fill out at your end, except to say that every parcel that arrives here has one.
Value for money wise.....you cant beat USPS.You just need to be patient.
Good Luck & Cheers,
Rob

(Message edited by rob patterson on April 06, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

Thank you.

When I Googled the best ways to ship to Australia on eBay and Etsy forums, USPS is recommended over UPS and Fedex for the same reasons you stated above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

Eric, thanks for your willingness to send stuff other than to the "lower 48". USPS is the way the vendors send stuff to me and I have yet to have anything go missing. The customs form is about the only difference from posting any parcel. It does help us if the package is packed sensibly rather than overpackaged as one vendor does. Excess butcher's paper and cardboard are expensive at USPS overseas postage rates.

Cheers, and thanks again,
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

Rob:
I agree with your statements regarding USPS for export (for me) to any country served by our postal agreements ...never an un-resolved issue with USPS and often problems with FedEx or UPS items within the USA !
also ... for everyones information ...export documents using the USPS system are very SIMPLE and should not be considered a reason not to sell items or ship outside the USA ...the cost of Priority mail international is high ...BUT ...that is just part of the cost of our hobby ...and not a cost to me as a seller ...also pay-pal is the simple and safe method of payment ...no currency exchange issues or bank transfers ...always an optimist...Gene French

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

+ 1 for USPS. As an Australian buying lots of stuff from the U.S., either from ebay or Model T suppliers, for the last 15 years, I've never had any problems.
Slightly off topic however, be wary of ebay's Global Shipping Program. That, I did have problems with the first time I bought something using it. However, it's the only way some sellers will ship overseas, so one has to weigh up the risks. I do prefer it when ebay sellers use USPS even though it costs more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

They are correct. I have sent things to Australia and they only get there safely when shipped by the U.S. Postal Service. The pay as you go advertisers just don't deliver down under and things that are not late get lost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 02:50 am:

I buy a lot of parts from all over the world, never had a problem on any of the postal or delivery options used by senders other than one time a package from Langs was stalled in New York at customs for a month, returned to Langs marked
'SUSPICIOUS CONTENTS'
Lang's re-packed and went through as normal second time round, and paid for the postage as well!
10/10 from me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 03:23 am:

I agree that USPS is the best option, but if the item being shipped isn't store-bought with a printed receipt any insurance you buy for it is worthless. If the package is lost you get nothing. VOE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:40 am:

I have shipped over a hundred items to Australia as well as dozens of other countries. I always use USPS. I use as small a package as safely possible, use good padding, and pack fully. Do not let things rattle against each other. I do not use smaller than a 4x4x6 inch box. Anything smaller, then there is a danger of it being lost or damaged by the automated machines. and the customs label will not fit. Remember, that the package must be able to "withstand a "repeated" fall from 15 foot". Notice I said "repeated" That is a word USPS uses not me. The only damage I have ever had is by "customs". I also suggest that you print an itemized receipt, with each and every item in the box on it, with a price for each item. Put it in the box as a "shipping invoice" and then either send a copy to the buyer or keep it, "just in case" It can help you out in the very unlikely chance of a lost or damaged package. It can serve as the "receipt" that Steve mentions above. They may accept it as the "receipt" or not. But it is better than nothing. I have shipped small items and as large as a complete Warford transmission. The only damaged item was a WW2 war scrap drive poster destroyed by customs when they removed it from the PVC pipe shipping tube. One more thing. If you are doing e-bay sales. I highly suggest to not use the global shipping service offered by e-bay. It is a "default" setting and you "must" un-check it, or it will automatically be offered to your buyers. It is highly "un-safe" to use it. My recommendations are to use USPS for all international shipping have fun and be safe.... Donnie Brown

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration