Does anyone have experience with the plastic tack strip?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Does anyone have experience with the plastic tack strip?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

I'm asking about the plastic tack strip that Lang's sells (link below). My tack strip is pretty much shot, and trying to get a replacement thus far has been futile (and expensive). Ultimately, I need the tack strip so I can put the top back on my touring.

Langs sells this alternative, which they say forms to your car with a heat gun. It adds strength and can be nailed, screwed, etc.

My question is, what is it exactly? Does it attach to your existing tack strip? Is it an entirely new piece? Any experience/reviews to be had of it?

I figure that it must be pretty good if Langs is willing to sell it.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/TSTRIP-B.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS737US737&io n=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=plastic+tack+strip+mtfca

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

Cameron: When I put my '19 together I ordered from someone the 3/4 x3/4 plastic tack strip and it was heated wit a propane torch with a spreader flame. At the starting point I drilled it and put a bolt in and tied it tight. From that point on I heated it GENTLY and formed it to the body and it work GREAT. Just have to use caution on heating it. Goo0d luck and be careful, HEAT it slowly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

The stuff I got was from Ford Wood so I am not sure it is the same but it worked beautifully. It holds tacks, screw and staples as good as wood and it is very easy to form with heat. I replaced the wood entirely with it when I did the upholstery and top on my '14 Runabout and I also used it when I made up the seats for my Speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 01:42 am:

I got mine from Lang's. A hot air gun worked well for forming it and I didn't have to worry as much about burning it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 08:13 am:

I made my own from PVC decking I bought at the hardware store. Ripped it down with a handsaw, sanded it a bit and installed it into the car with screws. Holds tacks just fine and took all of 20 minutes to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:11 am:

I used it on my 21 Touring and it worked great. I got it from Fordwood. I'm not a 100% purist so its fine for me. But you can't see it anyway after the upholstery. It is an improvement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 10:53 am:

If you need to bend your tack strip just bring it over next to your computer and hold it up next to the forum site, there is enough hot air on any of the postings to make the strip flexible. :-) If it is extra cold just let me know and I'll come back on and add more hot air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 11:13 am:

Cameron: I , now that I see the listing about the tack strip, believe that I bought mine form
Fordwood. And as stated it worked great, and I would not hesitate to use it again.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration