New Rims for a '13?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New Rims for a '13?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

I am about to send my wheels to Noah Stutzman for re-spoking. Since I am going to this level to bring the wheels up to the level of being bullet-proof, is it time to also replace the rims? My rims seem OK, but does getting new rims from Langs, and having them shipped to Stutzmans make sense, or am I just being stupid. The old rims seem OK, albeit with a bit of wear over the past 100 years.
Thoughts?...
Thanks,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

As long as the rims are straight and have no sharp edges to cut the clincher bead there should be no reason to replace them. I have done several wheels over using the original rims with no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

Noah will let you know if those rims are too bad to keep using. Last I knew, he could supply new rims too. I believe he even checks 'em for "true" and can fix 'em if not too bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Tim is correct. One of the rims I sent had a defect I hadn't noticed. Noah had me send him a better one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

Thanks! Hopefully that will keep me from spending money where I don't need to. Since my car is a '13, I have a willingness to go with white tires, since everything that I have read indicates that black tires did not appear until about 1917. I have read many Forum entries regarding white tires turning brown. I am not a purist that would expect any white tires I would buy, to remain pristine, but I don't want to feel that my purchase of white tires was a waste.

Today I saw a caveat on Lang's web site that I don't believe I have seen before. To me, it might provide an insight to the "white tire darkening" issue. Their site stated;

NOTE: ALL WHITE TIRE WARRENTY, They require our new tubes to be used with ALL White tires. Our tubes have been tested and approved for use. Thus, they are acceptable under the terms of the warranty. (The cheaper versions have been known to cause discoloration to the tires). When making a warranty claim on the All White tires, we will need to submit proof to our manufacturer that new tubes were purchased and used in the tires.

Might there be an end to the white tire darkening dilemma????

Regards,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 08:31 am:

Michael..wow..I'm glad I did a "follow up" on this thread of yours! I hadn't heard of this new caveat from Langs. Thankfully I haven't mounted my recently replaced "whities" from Langs, so I'll have to order 4 new tubes. Gosh I hope this takes care of it. We'll know by the end of May!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration