Looking for this Mercury Speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Looking for this Mercury Speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

I am trying to find this Mercury speedster that my dad owned in the mid to late 1990's. Does anyone recognize the car? I believe it had a Frontenac in it and I think it went to California. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

I remember that Mercury. I believe your dad traded that car to a guy in Washington state in exchange a real original Stoddard Dayton touring car (1909-10'ish). I do not know where the Mercury is now, but I bet either brasscarguy or Jarvis Erickson would know. That was a great Mercury speedster and it had all of the "goodies". Good luck in your search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Ron, that's exactly right! He traded it towards a 1909 Stoddard Dayton. I would love to track this car down. Thanks for the help. Maybe brasscarguy or Jarvis Erickson will chime in here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

Now that I think about it, I believe this car was also owned by a SoCal collector that often frequents this forum. If I am right, maybe he will chime in. He is probably on his way up to Bakersfield now. I believe he may have owned it after the gentleman in Washington, but am not sure. I know the gentleman in Washington was quite elderly when he acquired this car, so, I am guessing he may not have owned it for too long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

The speedster is nice, but look at that 1959 Imperial behind it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 08:02 am:

Ron, Hopefully he sees this, that would be great! And Mark, I believe that was a 1958 2 door hardtop. It was all original and was owned by one of the guys that worked in our shop. Looking forward to learning more about where this Mercury went!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 11:38 am:

I saw a Mercury like that go to Australia at about that time frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

I keep waiting for one of the speedster body builders to offer a Mercury Kit...so I can say "I can't afford that." To me they are the sharpest of all the aftermarket body offerings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

I agree Steve. They are the only speedster body that I think looks factory built.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

Yes, even the President of Ford Motor Co. thought so too.

Now if you find a Stutz yellow one with blue interior. Lottery winner!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Still looking. Hope someone can id this car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

I owned that 1909 50 hp Stoddard Dayton a few years back. The guy that your dad traded with was Cliff Gooby in the Seattle area.

I think the Mercury you are looking for is in the Seattle area and owned now by Jarvis Erickson the world expert on Mercury bodies and speedsters.

If Jarvis has it and I believe he does there is no chance in hell its for sale. He has a number of Mercury's and is a collector not a seller.

Jarvis has some very nice model t speed equipment as well as a 1915 t roadster with a Gallivan twin cam engine that I sold to him several years back.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 01:05 am:

Sending you a PM with Jarvis's phone number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 11:48 pm:

Ask Jarvis about the rest of the story where Edsel purchased the Mercury. There is a lot more than the invoice shown here.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 11:05 am:

brasscarguy

Yes, lots more, I turned Jarvis on to the records at the Benson research library, he couldn't believe the amount of material on the Mercury in that file accession too!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration