Last model - Improved cars in the US v New Beauty

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Last model - Improved cars in the US v New Beauty
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 04:26 am:

Where they called New Beauty in the US?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 05:56 am:

I believe that the name 'New Beauty' was only used in New Zealand. The last of the T's in Australia were usually referred to as the 'Geelong Model' in reference to the Ford Geelong factory.
Perhaps some knowledgeable enthusiast can elaborate on that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 07:05 am:

Kevin,

To my knowledge, Ford USA never used the term "New Beauty" in any of the USA advertisements etc.

I took the following that Bruce McCalley had complied about the introduction of the New Model in 1925 in the USA.

This new model was introduced to the public in newspaper and magazine ads on August 26, 1926 as the “Improved Ford.” No attempt was made to disguise the fact that his was just a restyling of the previous Fords. In fact dealers were instructed to point out to prospective customers that this was a restyled and more comfortable version of the tried and true Model T that everyone knew and loved. A sales bulletin to the dealers, dated August 30, 1925, reads:

We do not want the impression to prevail that we are producing new Ford cars.

Bodies of Ford cars have been materially improved but the Model T chassis remains unchanged except for lowering the frame and a few other important changes ....

There is additional information at the link above.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 07:05 am:

I've heard the term "Beauty Model" used for the last of the Model A's.....'31's? But that's probably peculiar to Australia.....who knows.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

During the development phase of the 1926-27 Improved cars, they were referred to within FMC as the "Australian" model. Once they were introduced to the American public in August 1926, the code name Australian Model was dropped, and FMC began calling them the "Improved Cars".

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 07:16 am:

It is my understanding that 1926-27 cars in both Australia and NZ used the title 'New Beauty'. Where the name was coined is not known.

Elsewhere they were known as the 'Improved Car'. When the Model A was released, Ford - US used the 'New Beauty' name to refer to this all-new car.

John Stokes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 10:39 am:

John, I have never heard the 26-7 cars referred to as "New Beauties" in Australia. We usually refer to them as improved cars or Geelong cars, to reflect that they were built in the new Ford factory in Geelong, Victoria.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Thanks Allan.

I must have been wrong about that. I thought there were two Fords that had 'names' that were peculiar to NZ and Australia only - the first being "New Beauty" and the second being "Twin Spinner" (the 1951-52 V-8s).

Best wishes - John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

John I have noticed that in the US the 49-52 Fords are all simply called Shoe box.
Here the 49 has one pulley and one chrome dome in the grill and the later models had two and hence have always been called "Single Spinner" and then later "Twin Spinner"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

Yes Kevin - I gather the "Twin Spinner" title was used to differentiate the later car from the earlier one, and it stuck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manuel Voyages, ACT Australia on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 01:53 am:

Did the last Model A's have a nickname in Australia?

Manuel in Oz

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration