No More White Tires Turning Brown???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: No More White Tires Turning Brown???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 10:28 am:

In a thread yesterday, I posted information that I saw on the Lang's site. It relates to the White Tires Turning Brown Dilemma. Tim Wrenn saw it, and I think it will help him, so I thought I would re-post it under a more general title. My original post was;

Today I saw a caveat on Lang's web site that I don't believe I have seen before. To me, it might provide an insight to the "white tire darkening" issue. Their site stated;

NOTE: ALL WHITE TIRE WARRENTY, They require our new tubes to be used with ALL White tires. Our tubes have been tested and approved for use. Thus, they are acceptable under the terms of the warranty. (The cheaper versions have been known to cause discoloration to the tires). When making a warranty claim on the All White tires, we will need to submit proof to our manufacturer that new tubes were purchased and used in the tires.

Might there be an end to the white tire darkening dilemma????

Regards,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Yep, I'm gonna call Ashley this afternoon and get 'em ordered. Thanks again Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

Michael and Tim;

Has either of you had a chance to talk with anyone at Lang's about this?

Does the Lang's caveat indicate that if the new tubes are used on new white tires, then there shouldn't be any browning of the tires?

In case you haven't talked with Lang's about this and feel pretty good that this is the solution to prevent white tires from browning, then I'm happy to do so.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Bill Everett

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

Interestingly enough, I talked to a representative at Lucas tires today and they are still maintaining that it is the rubber in the tires and not the tubes. So go figure!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge upstate NY stittville 13469 on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

I talked to steve at universal at chickahsa and asked him about the postings I saw regarding the tubes causing the white tires turning yellowish brown. he kind of chuckled and said no. he didn't and neither do I understand how a tube inside the tire could make the outside turn brown. my 2 cents. I was also told by a model T friend to specifically ask steve at universal about this rumor. this model Ter had a set of 4 never mounted turn brown a few years back and had them replaced for free at Hershey 2 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 12:18 am:

Bill,
I talked Ashley about a month ago (before they posted the inner tube restriction). At that time she acknowledged that the reason for browning was somewhat a trial and error game. Some tires were OK, and some were destined to turn brown. I was encouraged that her position was that if a tire you bought from Langs turned, they would go the extra mile to set it straight. I suspect that this browning issue is multi-variant. Some facts as I understand them...

Low cost vendors in Viet Nam produce the tires. Low cost equates to low quality

The EPA has restricted funky crap (that's a scientific term) from being put in the white tires, which limits white tire stability

White tires are a niche offering by tire companies, and hence there is no real push to fix the issue, since it represents a small market opportunity. People like me feel compelled to purchase these tires, even knowing that there are major problems.

White tires are softer that regular tires, hence the shortened tread life. This tells me that they could be susceptible to pressure invasion of particles from the inner tube by virtue of tire pressure.

I am going to go with the white tires, and "approved" tubes, and see what happens. I trust Langs.

My cousin, who is somewhat of a conspiracy theorist, is claiming that since most model T guys are in their 60's and 70's, that this is Viet Nam's way of getting back to us for messing with their country...

Regards,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 12:58 am:

Aha! Uncle Ho strikes again! That dirty #%{&$/d!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 06:32 am:

Mike, :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 06:36 am:

Michael S., I think that there was a LOT of other ways that they have/ or are getting back. !!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 07:00 am:

Michael;

Thanks for the update; I believe your assessment is spot-on.

White tires, to me, really make a car stand out.

I understand that white tires don't have the mileage expectations that black ones do; I just hope I have the time to wear out the white ones.

I also trust Lang's, and will order from them when the time comes.

Thanks again, Michael.

Bill Everett

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 08:12 am:

Bill E:..yesterday afternoon I ordered 4 "new approved tubes" from Ashley at Lang's. She really couldn't come out and say specifically that this will remedy the sitchy-ashun! She did say something (I already forgot exactly what) about the tubes being the one's "Universal approved" for white tires. Now what I don't know, and failed to ask, if that means they'll ONLY work on the Universal tires? I have Wards Riversides. But then, supposedly they're all made by the same factory in Vietnam so what difference does it make, to quote a certain politician..hardy har har. Just like MMO, E-timers, oil and Stabil, we can beat this horse to where there's not even any dust left and still not know EXACTLY what's causing it, and if these so called approved tubes will remedy it. I suspect & hope we'll get some updated info by next fall once some of us guinea pigs have had them on our cars. The guy that said his were still white under the stones continues to give me thoughts of UV issues. But who knows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:18 am:

I spoke with Langs yesterday as well. The issue with the tubes is viewed as the manufacturer trying to obstacles to future warranty claims. The tire issue is not solved and with the EPA banning certain chemicals used to make the tires white, it likely never will. It is very disappointing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:32 am:

A bit of thread-drift here, but if yer making calls from a smartphone ... install a call recorder app and you'll be able to play back calls whenever you want. Save them to yer home computer if you want. There are many good recorder apps and free too. They're very handy if you have a memory like, um ... what?

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Hmmm...Garnet..not a bad idea! I'll have to try it. Now what'dya say it was?.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Tim and Mike;

I agree with some skepticism that the problem's fixed by the tubes alone; however, we can hope!

I still want to try them when the time comes, probably late spring of '18.

Thanks again, guys.

Bill Everett

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 11:13 am:

Not sure if this is thread "drift" or not, but it has to do with browning and tubes. I had Universal's gray tires that turned brown and cracked and were installed with new tubes and flaps ordered at the same time.

Universal took them back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 11:24 am:

I finally got my CFO (wife) to agree to the tires, so I will be ordering them on Monday from Langs. Perhaps it is a belt & suspenders thing, but I plan on partially inflating the tubes, and then wrapping them in Saran Wrap before stuffing them into the tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

I spoke to a couple of Coker reps at Bakersfield yesterday. Their Firestone black tires now carry a five year replacement warranty against cracking, checking and blemishes.

When I asked them about the white tires, they weren't so positive. No warranty on color change, and they knew nothing about special tubes. When I pointed out that white wall tires have been around for years without color problems they said they are working with Ho to develop a "new" formula, then didn't want to talk to me any more.

Hmmm...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge upstate NY stittville 13469 on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

the browning imho it can't be caused by the tube, and I don't think saran wrap will stop the browning, maybe we need white tubes. steve at universal did suggest it is caused by the tire mold that is also used to make black tires and the release agent residue causes the tires to brown after time. as my friend had his replaced 2 years ago at Hershey as I said in my earlier post, they were never mounted on the car and never had a tube in them. universal replaced them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:49 am:

Is there a quantity limit to the replacement program? sounds like someone could get new tires every two or three years for the life of their car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:58 am:

Robert, only time will tell on that one, plus it probably depends on how willing we are to go through the PIA of dismounting, remounting, etc. and touching up the paint chips off the rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 08:01 am:

Thought I would ask my question relating to tires in this post:
Can anyone recommend a cleaner that will remove the white filmy residue from the T tires. The whitish film residue is some type of a wax that has dried over time. Thinking it may be a release agent used during the molding process. I tried several kinds of cleaners sold at department stores without success.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

If you're pretty sure it's a wax, then I'd try a de-waxing product. Or dampen a rag with lacquer thinner and try a small spot. Isopropyl alcohol might remove it, not really sure.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration