Ford Faithful oiler with screen

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ford Faithful oiler with screen
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Has anyone tried to use a Ford Faithful oiler with the aftermarket screen mounted below it. I'm a little concerned with taking too much oil away from the tops of the bands. Thanks : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

I used it that way for years with no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

Those are the after-market oilers I like the best for general use. On steep hills, they are only slightly better than the single inside line provided from the factory. Not enough improved angle, on a long hill, they will begin to starve out soon after the factory inside line does.
They add quite a bit to the general oil flow, but the filtering function is probably even more important. The drain (down to the front of the engine) is about half way up the cover, leaving a sump near the bottom of the cover which does a nice job of catching heavier debris. (I even found a cotter pin in one once, didn't know I was missing one.)
The screen near the top of the cover does a fine job of catching light debris and lint. (The one that let the cotter pin through was missing a bit of screen on one end, but still always caught most of the band's lint).
A moderate amount of band lint caught in the screen should not slow the oil flow much at all. A huge amount of lint covering the screen will block the oil flow through the Ford Faithful, but still be a lot better than if it was blocking the one and only inside line. Either way, you are better off with a Ford Faithful oiler.
The magnet and filter screen added under the hogshead cover (as sold by today's suppliers) coupled with a good mag post oiler is probably the best of both worlds. Before these inner covers became available, I had two model Ts where I used both a Ford faithful and a mag-post oilers.
Kind of like wearing both a belt and suspenders. But then, I have been known to do that. And I used to drive my model Ts a lot faster than most people do today.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Thanks guys but just to make it clear, I'm talking about the oil screen sold by Langs , part # 33780S, not just the screened plate that is part of the Ford Faithful assembly. Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 12:00 am:

Hi Bruce.

I have used both; I had an original early cast one and used it's internal screen, and on my other car I am sure I used the aftermarket one with the magnet from Lang's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

We are in the process of making new Ford Faithful oilers. Should have them soon.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration