Grease cup question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Grease cup question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

in cleaning the grease cups on my 21 t the large cup on the rear of the hogs head In scraping old crease I found a broken wire like a snap ring that was holding what looks to be a needle valve,is this a important part that needs replaceing or will the cup work without it. my t wont be makeing long trips just enjoyable 2-3 hr through tho country ON DIRT ROADS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

There should not be anything in there, the cap just screws down to force the lube. Somebody tried to clean the hole when the grease got hard and lost their "tools". Remove the cap and clean it all out and refill and you are good to go.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Richard ,mine has the same thing inside. It was not loose so I figured it was suposed to be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

I have found several of these grease cups but have no idea what the needle was for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

Does it look like this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

Eric thats what mine looks like.
Hey Jim ,I sent you a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

I found one like that on my 18's uni-joint cup too.
It's to keep the cup from turning on its own due to vibration etc, yes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

That style of grease cup is aftermarket, Ford did not use them. They do have the advantage mentioned by Duey C above in that they are less likely to turn on their own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Richard that is good news for you and I. I live on a dirt toad and you plan on driving them as well. Lots of vibration!
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

Empress brand dope cups.

These are made to prevent the cap from falling away, the supplier provided these to Ford, so you could say Ford did use them!

Lots of dealers sold these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

AHA. THAT MAKES SENSE THE PIN IN MINE WAS DOWN IN THE OUTLET AND I COULD NOT FIGURE OUT HOW THE GREASE COULD GET THROUGH.SO ITS MY DUTY EACH TIME I SHUT THE GAS OFF TO TAKE A PEAK AT THAT LITTLE GUY.THANK YOU ALL.AND HAPPY SAFE MOTORING TO ALL OF YOU.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

Don't throw the grease away!
Put it on your hair so you can look like the Fonz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

The point on the cap is only there to keep the cap from vibrating off. Every Model T I've ever owned has had one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Our 14 has one with a needle in the center and i think it is on the steering lower unit.Whenever i grease i fill all cups and turn them all the way on tight? The exception is the fan cup which is used sparingly? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

Bud, or anyone that may not have seen, I had saved these drawings awhile ago.
I love these drawings yet the one is more vague.

grease

grease 2

Funny, both of these don't mention the cups on the Hyatt outer bearings on the rear axle...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration