Ford script 1909-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ford script 1909-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

From an ebay ad.
It says it is the 1909 version.
Is that true?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

Nope.

Here is the first print ad for the new Model T.
You see the real Ford script in this adv.

Saturday Evening Post, Oct. 1908

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 05:42 am:

It seems yes, if you are in another part of the world, from a German web site, Evolution of cars, logo link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 08:16 am:

I'm beginning to think there was a certain amount of "artistic license" taken regarding this logo over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Wonder who came up with the script to begin with. Maybe a secretary, Ford himself or?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 10:18 am:

Long time Ford associate and employee (1899-1919) Childe Harold (C.H.) Wills.
He dabbled in calligraphy and came up with the font that was used in the script.
Later he left Ford and started his own auto company,
Wills Sainte Claire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:02 am:

My understanding is that the font came from a little printing set Wills had as a boy and brought it to Henry's attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

Marty
I always heard the font came from his children's toy print set. Who knows, but it is always interesting to share the lore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Marty, Jon,
I didn't mean he actually designed the font- by "..came up with..." I inarticulately meant he found or discovered an existing script and brought it to Henry's attention.

I had always heard the toy printing press origin story too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

So, does the font have a name and is the whole alphabet available so i can do my letterheads in Ford script?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

Jem

Its an antique discontinued font, no exact matches. C.H. Wills had an old printer type set he used.

Here is a font made to be close to the Ford script type :

http://www.fontage.com/pages/fordscript-s.html

(Message edited by Dan_Treace on April 09, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

Boy, ol' Chill Wills got around.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration