Sediment bowl tightening?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Sediment bowl tightening?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

Shirley is nearly ready to go. Lots of issues with her sediment bowl and gas tank detailed here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/709654.html?1490665707
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/737921.html?1490226379

The tank leaks are fixed. I put the sediment bowl on with Loctite 567. It spins on and is somewhat snug when it faces forward. Another quarter turn and it is very tight but facing the wrong direction and very hard to further turn it. I do not want to torque it on any harder to spin it facing forward because that's what I think hairline cracked the tank flange to begin with.

It seems ok. It is not leaking. I think the fuel line will keep it from turning loose. I really don't want to break this at this point. Is it ok as it is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Anziani on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

Leave it alone. No leaks and it's facing the front win win

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

Ignacio

Don't know about Loctite, have only used gasket sealer there on the threads, Permatex, gas resistant.

Seems you should leave it along and don't twist anymore. Let it face nearly forward and you are OK. It is a tapered pipe thread which is self-sealing normally, so just a little sealant on those tapered threads is sufficient.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

Several wraps of Teflon tape worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. Snell on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Ignacio, you need to use Permatex High Temperature thread sealant. Resistant to gas. This happened to me and when I used this it worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 03:27 am:

There are two different kinds of Teflon tape, white and yellow. Use the yellow one for gasoline. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 08:16 am:

Or use this. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/ezturnlube.php Recommended to me by Dan Hatch. Works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Be careful with the teflon tape, its "slick" and you can over tighten the connection without knowing so.
You don't want to pop your tank fitting or crack your carburetor casting.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration