Headlight plug screw, throttle, battery tie down, belt bolt?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Headlight plug screw, throttle, battery tie down, belt bolt?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 03:03 am:

Miscellaneous things for finishing Shirley:

1) The plastic for one of the tiny wire hold down screws for my drivers headlight plug seems to have stripped. Can this be repaired somehow? I don't have time to get a new one shipped.

2) My newly redone Kingston L4 carb throttle rod adjustment screw is adjusted all the way out for the throttle meaning nearly no threads on the stopping part of the screw. On the other side of the engine I see this mount for the rod. Is that mount what it should be?
Throttle rod mount.

3) My sons instructions where 'disconnect the battery'. He heard 'disconnect the battery and disassemble everything'. So I do not know which way the battery cable tie down pictured is supposed to go?

Battery cable tie down.

4) The big bolt that the top fan belt wheel arm goes on does not have a nut in the back, just a cotter pin hole. Should it have a nut? If so, what size bolt is that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Anziani on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 06:58 am:

There's no nut for the fan bolt, not enough room even if you could. Only use a cotter pin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 07:18 am:

Do you have a wooden board under your battery? It looks to me that your battery is sitting low in the holder. That clamp doesn't hold the wire in place but it holds the battery in place when the battery is level with the top of the bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 08:03 am:

It would be best to change the throttle rod, it sounds like it is too short. Someone has fabricated the little extension to compensate for it being too short. To at least try i, you you might try putting it in the lower hole and or adjust the extension part towards the carburetor. Its not rocket science to build your own. A piece of 3/16 rod and a vice, hack saw, hammer, and a drill. Most rods don't have an adjustment on them, take the extension off and just make it the right length.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Yes, get rid of that thing and make a rod long enough to work. 14" should be about right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:57 am:

PLEASE PLEASE get that battery clamp off the cable before you do damage via causing a short.

Also, as mentioned, it appears your battery is sitting low (right on the metal support. Modern batteries need a spacer to move them up. I piece of 3/4" plywood is adequate. below is a pic I saved from this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 10:18 am:

Here is a pic of mine, I added some scrap pieces of 1/2" thick plywood on top. This spreads the load of the clamp on the case. Otherwise you could potentially crack the case. Just snug the clamps, no need to tighten them right down tight.

Here is the spacer all cut out as shown in my previous post.

(Message edited by Chad_Marchees on April 08, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

Many thanks for the diagram and answers on the battery and the others. My 13 year old son fabricated the piece out of plywood from the diagram but actually had to do 2 thicknesses to get the battery high enough for the clamp to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 11:52 am:

I reverse the clamps so it sort of "wedges" the clamp to the battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

Here is the handiwork.

Battery supported by wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:27 am:

I can't believe all the mickey mouse stuff members of this club do to their cars!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

I see a guy who's asking for help, and the advice he's gotten on this thread is pretty decent. If reading these responses is stressful, perhaps it's time to go polish some brass.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration