What is up with USPS and fuel line package?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What is up with USPS and fuel line package?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 03:23 am:

So I've now ordered 2 fuel lines from Lang's because the first one has been 'in transit' since March 22. So I ordered a second one 2 day delivery April 3 also shows 'in transit'. Per Lang's it is packed in a tube and has a tendency to 'fall off the conveyor belt' of United States Postal Service. I wonder what gives with USPS and fuel line deliveries? Still waiting. Can I improvise something locally until it arrives? The new end nuts and packings made it last week no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 04:21 am:

You can buy brake line from a local auto parts store, will work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 08:17 am:

Ignacio, maybe when you order your third fuel line request it be shipped other than the postal service. It'll cost more, but maybe it'll get there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 08:54 am:

David is correct. " brake line works fine and eliminates shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:26 am:

Showing on the news this morning the thousands of people who are stuck at the Atlanta airport due to the storms that blew through the SE mid week. I presume that mail and Fed/Ex and UPS all ship their stuff by air at some point in time and perhaps is coaught up in all this backlog?

Local stuff seems to get through OK as do al the bills and advertisements.

And, yes, local brake line is what you are going to get from any vendor. No flared ends or prebent, so you'll have to do the same work as if you went to NAPA and bought some line and got on with your project. In fact, the amount your get from the vendors allow little or no room for error or a creative bend. Get an extra 6" and bend away!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:38 am:

No flare needed with the Ford fittings. In fact, the brake line may come with a flare you have to cut off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:41 am:

So go to the auto parts store with the end nuts get 1/4 inch brake line and have them flared or used as is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:52 am:

We sell them but roll them up and eliminates the postage problem,Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:55 am:

I would just go buy the brake line and take it home. You will have to cut off both flared ends, and cut it the correct length with a tubing cutter, hacksaw or cut off wheel. No flare needed anywhere. Be sure none of the felt packing accidentally gets inside the line or elbow fitting or it will cause your carb inlet needle not to close. I wouldn't take the fittings to the parts store. I've found that anything unusual confuses them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Buy about 4 feet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 10:11 am:

I don't remember how long I bought. 3 or 4 feet. I crawled under the car with the end cut, nut and packing installed on the gas tank end. I eyeballed the bend to get it from the sediment bulb to the frame then bent it and put it on. You have to stick the carb end through first and you may have to remove the wood crankcase arm block to make it easier to push through. Once you get it routed like you want it you can cut off the excess on the carb end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 10:22 am:

I wrap string around the line in a mound, just enough to fit inside the nut, about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch from the end of the line. It works as good as a compression "washer". On the Great Race a number of years ago, Ricks developed a hydraulic leak they couldn't seal. The string as a compression "washer" fixed it.

Cut the flare off, slide the nut on the line and wrap the string around the line and you will have a leak proof compression fitting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 10:30 am:

It works best to wrap the string to the left and use a fairly small diameter string.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Bought one from Langs about a month or so ago, It arrived in a 1/2 inch piece of PVC tube. I could see how something so thin could get lost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

This is one item that I think it is wise to buy locally; by the time you pay shipping, the local guy will be cheaper, and it is the SAME product; the suppliers probably buy it in bulk and cut off the length needed. If you don't have a tubing cutter, a hacksaw works, but I prefer a "Dremel" tool cut-off wheel. Be sure and remove any burrs (no, not Aaron Burr, you're likely to get shot!) before installing, and you might even blow some air through it before installing, just for insurance.
Oh, and now you have two flare nuts to put into you "spare bits jar" that you will likely never use!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

No doubt somebody will be deeply offended by this, but there's more than one way to route a fuel line. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Please pass the purists a crying towel. 4 feet will give you enough to move and adjust the fuel line around and cut off when you have it right. That's a good idea Steve in routing. Now I know I'm not the only one that didn't do the routing exactly right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

The fuel line used to come with a chart showing how it should be bent, but the chart never identified which end should be at the carburetor and the line always appeared to be about 4 inches too long.

Line

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

Local FLAPS had just the thing 1/4 inch x 50 inch brake line, cut the heads off put it on at the sediment bowl first, hung it out where the carburetor is, cut it with a cut off wheel. It is on and apparently functioning with gas in the carb and no leaks so far! Still won't start though. Will begin the diagnosis protocol tomorrow though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

Gas line arrived today a bit late. Maybe I can make art out of it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

Save it for your second model T!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration