Need Advice on Brake Drum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need Advice on Brake Drum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 11:13 am:

I just disassembled my transmission for an overhaul and restoration on my 1923 Touring. All looks exceptionally good, except I am a little uncertain about the crack/line evident in the brake drum. Am I looking at a casting issue that is no problem, or is this a structural issue that will compromise the integrity of the drum and needs to be replaced? Thanks for your help and guidance. Brake drum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 11:34 am:

Eric- this is a clutch drum and what you want to look for are cracks on the band side.

Also, the area on the inside where the clutch discs ride needs to be smooth. Can't tell from your pics what the condition is there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 06:25 pm:

That almost looks to me like someone cut some oil grooves in that face to get more oil under the thrust washers. If it's not cracked through, I wouldn't worry about it. The lugs that fit into the clutch disks need to be smooth on the sides so the clutch disks can move in and out without catching.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration