Holley H/N I'm sure you've all heard this before

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Holley H/N I'm sure you've all heard this before
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jenell Larson on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 11:48 am:

After taking apart and reinstalling my carb, I managed to eliminate all the leaks but one. When I turn off the car, it starts a steady drip out of the float/choke chamber. It continues until I shut off the gas. Is the float too high? Or is it something else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 11:52 am:

Most likely needle and seat or the gasket under it---new needles can be rough finished which requires polishing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

Polish the shut off needle then put it in the seat and tap it firmly a couple smacks to make the steel needle "shape" the brass seat better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

If that doesn't work then it's probably the seat gasket. You might try 2 or make a lead one. Flip the carb upside down and clamp it to something to hold it. Blow it dry. Put the needle in. Pour a little soapy water around it. Hold the needle down with a screwdriver so you can see around it. Shoot some air in the inlet and the bubbles will tell you if the needle is leaking or if the seat gasket is leaking depending on where they come from. If you get no bubbles then it should be good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jenell Larson on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

Thanks, everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jenell Larson on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

Does anyone know what I did wrong, now? I took out the seat and gasket, put a new gasket in, polished up the needle and put it back. Last time I didn't tap it very hard, so this time I tapped it a. Little more, tried soapy dishwater. By myself I couldn't see any bubbles so??
But now, it's pouring out the vent hole. I used to have a small drip, now I have a gusher from another area. Suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

I hope you didn't go and deform the brass seat by whooping on the needle. I just take a little toothpaste (as it is a very fine abrasive), put it on the end of the needle and spin the needle in my fingers until the lapping seats it. No force necessary. just keep doing that process until the needle seats itself. Done it many times...all successfully.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

How about fuel intermittently pouring out? Junk in the seat? When I rebuilt the carb last year I did the suck test from the book (wife gave me quite the look when she walked in) and it checked okay then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

Sometimes those gaskets are hard and don't want to seal. Does the seat screw down easily until the two parts mate? I've thought I had them tight before but they weren't. I started chasing the threads, but it's a 1/4-32 tap so you have to order it. I had the exact problem you describe once where there was no leaks, then I put it on there and gas gushed out. I took it off and took it apart. I found a piece of felt from the packing had got in there when I installed it. I removed it and put it back, no more problems. I remember thinking, how did it go from drip, to fixed off the car to pouring gas after installation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Jenell, if not mentioned already, a couple things.
Stuck float? Kinda rare. ?
Float full of gas?
Float not adjusted quite right? I know you had asked at the top. :-)

IF you don't have this already.
float
I'm sorry, I cannot attribute who I nabbed the pic from.

(Message edited by Duey_C on April 08, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jenell Larson on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

Thanks so much, everyone. I'm dry as a bone now and the new engine I put in last week is running brilliantly. Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration