1914 "TT semi" at Ohio auction

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1914 "TT semi" at Ohio auction
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

Interestingly weird "1914 brass Ford Model semi truck" at the April 22 Whalen Auction in Ohio:

http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/2823555/fpx998.cgi

lotsa other interesting stuff there as well:

http://whalenauction.com/?az_feed_pos=www.auctionzip.com%2Fcgi-bin%2Fauctionview .cgi%3Flid%3D2823555%26feed%3D129%26group%3D0%26state%3D%26kwd%3D%26zip%3D%26cat egory%3D0%26nojava%3D0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

OOps, its a "1914 brass Ford Model"-->"TT"<--" semi truck"- musta been a prototype!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

It looks to me like a "Form-A-Truck" or equivalent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

Not sure about the shag carpet but I like the color scheme.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

Henry,

A 1914 would have been one of the several car to truck conversions. And Smith Form-a-Truck used a chain drive like many others conversions at the time. A few did not, but most did. They used a small sprocket on the Model T car rear hubs to turn the chain that went to the larger sprockets on the truck rear wheels. That gave it a much lower gear ratio. See sample below:

The Truck that is being advertised as a 1914 is a cute semi-rig shown below:

But above you notice that is does NOT have a chain drive conversion like the Smith Form-a-Truck. Below is the Ruckstell TT rear axle and TT rear cross member.

And below you can see what appears to be the normal TT running board braces by the Cab and it appears that similar brackets were used at the back of what appears to be a normal car running board. So I suspect it is probably a normal TT frame under the body. Note it also has 2 shift levers in the cab so perhaps an auxiliary transmission as well as the Ruckstell?

Other photos show the engine has a generator block -- so 1919 or later engine block. And the front spring to frame holder is the style introduced in 1921 (ref page 324 - McCalley "Model T Ford" and the oval gas tank was introduced during 1920 (ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/F-H.htm see fuel tanks)

And at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/389212.html?1379469706 the second photo down you can see the first 1914 Fruehauf Tractor Trailer unit. The trailer was built in 1914 but the T they used was a 1911 that had previously been converted using a Smith Form-a-Truck.

There is always more to learn about our cars and trucks.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

The TT didn't appear until late 1917 for the 1918 model year, as I understand it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

That's my uncles TT. No, it's not a prototype or a production of any kind. He saw a rig at The Henry Ford and hand built it to resemble that (maybe a Freuhauf trailer?). He used a later TT and built it around a '14 because I had a spare set of '14 fenders and he wanted it to be a "brass" truck. It does have an auxillary trans and a Ruckstell. I don't remember what the gearing of the trans was, but you could jump out of the truck as it was moving in the low gear and walk beside it! It always got lots of attention at shows. I don't know what the deal was carpet, other than it matched the orange on the truck. The carbide generator on it was a lead of an auction from an old time T guy that knew he was building up the truck, The auctioneer said "looks like some kind of old heater.... anybody give me a buck?", and that's how much he paid for it! When he was thinking of building this from a running gear he had we got a deal on the hard rubber tires at Hershey and hauled them home hoping he could use them.....that was in the 1980's when cell phones were rare and we couldn't give him a quick call to see if he wanted them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Shag or not, that's a cool semi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

I have thoughts of building a TT trailer for my TT.

It's either that or a C-cab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration