Ford Tri-Motor motor in ABQ

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ford Tri-Motor motor in ABQ
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

Took a ride today.
What an amazing experience

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

That looks like fun!!! I had a ride in a Ford Tri-Motor at the EAA a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

I learned today that Grover Ruckstell also owned this particular plane to fly with Grand Canyon Airlines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

Where is this one stationed? The other remaining one is in the museum in Oregon sitting under the wing of the Spruce Goose. The third one hit a hanger and was destroyed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

Glen
Port Clinton Ohio

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Glen, I think the EAA in Oshkosh, WI has one also & it was in flying condition at least about 3 years ago.

Which one hit a hangar and was destroyed?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 01:38 am:

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/flight-experiences/fly-the-ford-eaa-ford-tri-motor-ai rplane-tour/ford-tri-motor-tour-stops

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 07:34 am:

EAA has two, a 4-AT and 5-AT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 08:07 am:

Some one in Michigan is paying the freight to build a brand new one in Port Clinton Ohio. You can fly in or stop in at the county Airport and restaurant to see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 09:22 am:

I took a ride in this Tri-Motor a few years ago. It is at the Valle airport in Northern Arizona.
Tri-Motor

This was home to Grand Canyon Airlines. They flew tourists in Ford Tri-Motors over the Grand Canyon in the 30's. Later on they used single engine Travelairs as they were less expensive to fly. The runway was a dirt strip.
GCA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

I'm scared to death of flying and never will again, (remember that Joe!) but I will admit I've always loved at least watching the one fly back and forth over Lake Erie to the islands. Been tempted to fly in it then, but never really would. When we'd be out sailing in our boat, I'd swear we could pass the thing up going the same way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

We stopped at The Planes of Fame Air Museum at Valle on the way back from the Sun City MTFCA speedster run in Camp Verde on the way to the Bakersifeld swap meet. We did not realize there was a TriMotor there as well. DARN!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

Dan,

The Ford that was at Valle isn't there any more. It has changed hands and is now in Paso Robles, CA. No longer giving rides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

Here is another picture of the Tri-Motor at the Double eagle Airport on the very west side of Albuquerque. This is the last day it will be here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

I have a friend, a retired Montana judge who used to smokejump out of these things based at Johnson Flying Service in Missoula. His service was after Mann Gulch which changed the way these guys worked. For those going to Whitefish, the Museum of Mountain Flying in Missoula would be a good stop. I hear that they just added a 1929 Travelaire to the collection, and you can search the net for info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

From my own files, sorry for the photo quality; the original is in the public domain and housed at the National Archives. It's the TriMotor from the first Byrd Antarctic Expedition, having just been unloaded from the ship at Antarctica and being moved by several dog teams to the base (Little America) for assembly in January 1929.

I don't know much about aviation, but from 1992 - 2007 I used to have sled dogs descended from one of the Expedition's lead dogs...you guys from New Hampshire might recognize old Chinook's name!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

A group of us Aussie's had the ( Fly The Ford ) experience in June 2013 at Yankton South Dakota. Something I will never forget. Thanks to my good mate Doug Partington for having the foresight to work it into our trip to Nebraska.

Best regards, John Page , Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

I have researched Ruckstell's Ford Tri-motors and believe this to be accurate.

Ruckstell owned four Ford Tri-motors. He may have operated as many as three at one time.

NC5092 Ford 4-AT-B, Purchased from Standard Oil Company by J.W. Thornburg & Glover Ruckstell for Grand Canyon Airlines. Sold in 1934 to White Pass Airlines Skagway, Alaska. Plane hit a hanger on landing at Carecross, Yukon and was demolished on 01/30/1940. Pilot was Vernon Bookwalter.

NC9640 Ford 5-AT-B, Purchased from Transcontinental and Western Airlines (TWA) on 02/26/29. Sold to TACA, Nicaragua on 12/11/37. No record of its fate.

NC9644 Ford 5-AT-B, Purchased from Transcontinental and Western Airlines (TWA) on 01/18/29. Sold to TACA, Cancoon, Mexico on 12/11/37. NO record of its fate.

NC9645 Ford 5-AT-B, Purchased from Transcontinental and Western Airlines (TWA) on 02/26/29. Sold to TACA, Honduras on 12/11/37. Then sold to Nicaragua and later to Mexico. The plane was damaged in Mexico and put into storage. Later the plane was returned to the United States and purchased and restored by Bill Harrah in 1964. Harrah flew the plane around Reno, Nevada. After Harrah's death the plane was auctioned and eventually purchased by the Evergreen Air Museum, McMinville, Oregon. It now sits in the museum under the wing of Howard Hughe's Spruce Goose.

Ruckstell owned many planes including a Lockeed 5C Vega, a Waco ZGC7, a Ryan B1, Travelair 4000 and a Travelair 6000B. If any one can shed light on the fate of the other two Tri-Motors I would appreciate hearing from you. Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

Attached is a poor copy of the the handout they gave us during our our pre flight instructions.
Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Azevedo on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

Addendum to Glen's post above- note that the Tri-Motor in Albuquerque this weekend is NC9645. After sitting under the Spruce Goose (according to the flyer we received) the Liberty Aviation Museum of Port Clinton, Ohio purchased NC9645. It is currently on loan to the EAA Aviation Foundation on it's tour throughout the US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 11:18 pm:

Dick- thanks for making me feel better. Last year at the FAST sponsored speed trials at Santa Margarita, a Tri Motor made a pass over the race course- must have been the one out of Paso Robles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 12:21 am:

Tri-Motor NC 9640 and NC 9644 sold to Nicaragua 1946. No listing as to the fate of these two birds. Scott Owens

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 04:47 am:

Maybe someone here can tell me what ever became of the Ford tri motor that Irv Perch had a few decades back? I believe it may have been N 9651?
I never did get a ride in it. But I did see it in the air a few times. Incredible sound flying low on approach for landing.
I spent more than a few minutes with Mr Google, found a few old pictures, but no new information. I have told you that the computer culture and I don't get along very well.
I am just curious because I had seen it up close a few times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

Wayne, Its Irving B Perlitch. And its NC 9651. Came to life in 3-22-29. 1943 ground looped and stood on nose. Stored till 4-18-52. Sold to Irv in 10-22-69. Last info I have, Scott Owens

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

9651 resides Polk City, Florida. It is serial number 34 model 5 AT-B with Ptat 1340s on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

9645 resides out of Port Clinton, OH with 985 Prats and serial number 8. I think it was reskinned recently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

Thank you Scott O and David C. I do hope the plane is being well cared for.
I am sorry if I got the name wrong. I wasn't sure about his last name, but Perch did come up in a few photo captions I found. You know what they say about "if it is on the internet"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

40 years ago I flew my kids around the country in 3-1/2 weeks in a flying club Cessna 182. One place we visited was Put-In-Bay, where we briefly flew formation with an Island Airlines Ford Tri-Motor and then took a ride in it to Port Clinton and back. I even got to take the controls!

Fast forward to two years ago. I drove my '13 T on a week-long progressive tour out of Kalamazoo put on by the Snappers, a brass-era touring club affiliated with AACA. We visited an aircraft restoration shop - I regret to have forgotten its name - that was rebuilding a crashed Tri-Motor. They thought it might have been the one I had ridden in 38 years before. Maybe by now that plane is back in the air.

I took pictures, but despite adjusting the size to under 250 kb, this #@*^%@* program refuses to upload them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

I shall try once more. This represents a couple of hours of frustration for me and my wife.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

Dan -- Yes, that was the Paso Robles (formerly Valle) Tri-Motor that you saw at Santa Margarita. The fellow who takes care of the plane had been invited to bring one of his Fords (he as a T and a couple of A's) to the speed trials. But he decided to bring the "Big Ford" instead.

Unfortunately, I suspect that a lot of people didn't get the connection.

Maybe we can get him to do it again this year with enough advance warning that the speed trial participants can look up and realize what's going over.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration