New to me, 23....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New to me, 23....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

Local craigslist ad was too much for me to pass up. It's a 1923 Touring that was about 30 minutes from my house. The paint is peeling badly, but other than that, it needs to be cleaned up a bit. I'm going to make it mechanically reliable and drive it the way it is. The weather here is supposed to be nice tomorrow so hoping to get it out in the driveway and get it cleaned up and start giving it a once over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Looks good, congratulations!

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG93.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 01:02 am:

That peeling paint gives that smart looking old devil some character. :-)
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 03:16 am:

Micheal,that's the nice thing about peeling paint, you don't have to worry about damaging it! :-) Looks like a fun car! Drive it like you stole it! :-) :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 08:03 am:

Good score. I think your plan of attack is spot on.

Concerning the outside, that is called character.

I am assuming you have to put the top down to get it out of the garage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 08:28 am:

Beautiful vehicle. Don't forget to drop the top or prop up the door going in and out. Looks like it would hit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 08:30 am:

Nice score !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 09:35 am:

" Smart Looking Old Devil "

Doesn't that describe Mr. Jelf Hiself to a T ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 09:40 am:

If the garage opening is taller than the height that the door opens, there is usually an adjustment on the opener to allow it to pull the door further open. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Very cool car! Nice find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

I spent some time today chasing down a few wiring issues and was finally able to get the coils to fire. Once I had spark, the car started right up. Still need to give it a once over, but I couldn't resist taking it for a short drive up the dirt road I live on. Check out the short video (that my ten year old shot, it's a bit shaky...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ_q2YOpvNk

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Awesome!

Love the video

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Michael: Looked great and I can say that you will enjoy it more each day. As you said make it safe to drive, the front end steering and the BRAKES in good working order.
Welcome to the HABIT, and something else you will hear is make room for the second one as it will need a partner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

Thanks Don! I've been working on a 26 touring for the past two years. I have the chassis all done and have the body, interior, and top left to go. I decided to put that project on hold for a bit and get something that I could drive sooner than later. I really like the looks of the early 20's T's. I found this on Craigslist about 40 minutes from my house. I figured I'd go check it out since it was so close. I hadn't really intended on buying it but once I saw it, it was hard to walk away. I bought it for $4900.

I've been following your 24 Touring project and have enjoyed seeing the work you have done. You should be driving it very soon! It's looking good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Ha! Funny thing is, this IS the second one...I just haven't gotten the other one going yet. Looks like I need a bigger garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

Thank you. Congratulations ... looks like lots of fun.

Now that she runs I would suggest Job 1 is take certain that the habit thrust washers in the differential have been changed out for bronze. Critical safety issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

LOVE IT! Those side walls are huge!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

Great video and T!
Many thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

That video is great! Your 10 year old did perfect.
As you're driving away and you put it in high? THAT is music to my ears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

Fantastic!! I bought a 23 identical to yours last August and have had nothing but fun with it. My Grandkids love it as well as my wife. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we have our "Gracie".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

Great video but I have to ask how far did you drive down the road with the green water glass on the running board?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

The entire way...Luckily it's a plastic cup... I had two wrenches on the side also. Neither of them fell off. We only drove a short distance and when we turned around I stalled it at one point. It's then that we noticed the stuff on the running boards. I had another forum member with me (Thanks Ralph) who grabbed them at the last minute and threw them in the back. Hoping to work on it this weekend some more and start to make sure that everything is safe for a real drive.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

Decided before I drive it anymore I needed to take apart the rear end and make sure that the thrust washers were safe. I hated driving it not knowing whether they were on the brink of disaster or not. I got the back end jacked up, pulled the rear axle out, and got it all apart in about 3 hours. Looks like the original thrust washers are still in place. I'm going to clean everything up tomorrow, measure all the axles, bearings, etc. to make sure they are all within spec, and make a parts list to order from Langs.

The ring and pinion gear look great. Is there any reason to take apart the two differential case halves if I am not going to replace the ring gear? Can I just measure the axles, and bearings and if they are within spec, just slide on the new bronze washers and put it back together? Or, should I take it apart and check the spider gears inside? I'm just trying to avoid taking it apart if I am just going to put it right back together. I'd hate to break something while splitting the halves if I don't need to.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

Michael, if you are intent on just replacing the thrust washers, you need to keep the steel washers indexed to the sides they were on and then machine the new bronze thrusts to the same thickness as the originals, and keep them to the same side that they came from. That way you will not upset the gear mesh you have. I would be inclined to keep the right hand one a few thou thicker than the original. That way when you re-instal the innards, you can check that the diff assembly is not moving from side to side in the housing. The thrust washer can be sanded/machined down to suit.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

With chipped and peeling paint, it has been elevated to Daily Driver status. Kids will love getting their pics taken by their parents in the parking lot. Always gives me a kick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

Personally, if there is no end play between the axle shafts and they fit half snug in the diff carrier? Run 'em.
Other than that the diff carrier is cake to work with, one of the easiest parts for me. Perhaps check the fiber washer/washers in between the axle shafts.
If you need new fiber or bronze washers because of axle end play in the diff carrier, remember the fiber washers are hard as nails like the bronze will be! Order two of your choice, you probly need them both. Hint: Sand, sand, sand...
Yes! If in spec? All good.
Check your Hyatt sleeves for wear or replace.
Please check your axle housings for alignment. :-)
I am no expert tho.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

Well, I decided I'd take the extra 30 minutes and pull it all apart, clean the old gear oil out and re-safety wire everything just to make sure that it is all set. Seemed like a shortcut to try to leave it as it was. I measured the axles while they were out (it was the first chance I had to actually look at them) and one of the axles was JUNK!!! So, I ordered two new axles, new axle keys, and all the parts necessary to rebuild the rear end. This is the second rear end that I have rebuilt in the last year so this one is a bit easier.

This is the first time however that I am replacing the axles. I read a bunch of posts last night on pulling the gears off and pressing them on the new axles.

Tonight I cut the old axles as it was the easiest way to get the gears off with the tools that I had. I cut the axles with my sawzall and pressed them out on my 12 ton ($125) harbor freight press. I decided to quit while I was ahead tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get some dry ice on my way home from work, stick the axle and gear in the dry ice to shrink them a bit and hopefully I can just lightly tap the gear on so that I don't worry about bending one of the new axles.

Here are a few pics of my work tonight.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

Woohoo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

Finally got the gears on the axles today with the help of a much larger hydraulic press that made the job so much easier. Planning to get the rear end partially put back together this weekend. Just waiting for a new pinion bearing before I get get it all dialed in...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

Great new project. Looks like you will be having fun soon. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

I hope that's the FP pinion bearing you're waiting on. I prefer original in a lot of places, but not there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 08:09 am:

It is the FP one... I have been waiting for it for over three weeks from one vendor and finally had to find it from another who had it in stock. Should be here with my disc brakes next week. Decided to go with best brakes over best looking brakes. Hoping to have the car back on the road in two weeks as my 10 year old wants to be picked up on his last day of school in the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 01:09 am:

Michael, while you are at it, I would replace those lined steel brake shoes. If you look closely at your photo, you will see the cam driving the top edge out towards the drum as it should. The bottom edge though, is being driven in away from the drum. In emergency stops, this can result in the shoes bending and becoming even less efficient than usual.
The new one piece lined cast shoes are a much better product.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

Strobo Spark arrived in the mail today. I pulled my coils and checked them all. There was only one that was working correctly (and it's one I borrowed from a friend). It looks like one of the coils has a back secondary coil inside of it. The others look like they need new condensors. So much for "rebuilt model t coils" I bought on Ebay... I ordered new points and condensors from Langs. Hopefully I'll be able to rebuild them soon.

Texas T parts box should be here soon with the new disc brakes and the other misc parts I need to get it finished.

Hoping to get a ton of time this weekend to get things going again.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

Got some time to work on the car tonight.

Installed a new bronze driveshaft bushing, replaced all my rim bolts/nuts with new ones, got the rear axles put back together and safety wired, and took apart one of my coils to see how hard it was going to be.

Going to clean all the parts up tomorrow and get them ready for a fresh coat of paint while I have them apart. Nothing fancy, just a nice clean spray can job with Eastwood 2K primer and paint.
Here are a few pics from tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

Looking good Mike!
May I ask a question?
You installed the front driveshaft bushing. Did you by chance check the clearance for the u-joint pin?
The FP kit will put the hole in the driveshaft right in the center of the access holes yet the driveshaft bushing shoulder/wear surface/face for the rear of the u-joint to run against is usually too tall.
If I remember, I needed to take .100" off the face of the front bushing.
Granted, it's not really needed to be set "spot on" like an original thrust setup since the FP kit will hold it in place but IF something goes wrong and the FP kit by chance lets go of the driveshaft, a close fit on the front bushing will help prevent potential disaster down in the diffy.
Keep us informed! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 07:47 am:

I did take some material off the face of the bushing. It was not an exact science, but I think that it will work out almost perfect. This is the second rear end that I have done and the first one I had put 4 bushings in before I got it right... I'm still waiting for the FP bearing which I was hoping was going to be here by now. I ordered it from Texas T parts along with my disc brakes.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

Dopey me. I knew darn well you had done your other rear axle. Please excuse my babble above.
Bummer. You're still waiting for parts...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

No worries. I'd rather have you double check then have me miss something like that. It's a bit easier the second time.

I rebuilt one of my coils with the new condenser and it works perfectly! I tested it on the Strobo spark and after a few quick adjustments I had it firing exactly as it should. I'm planning on doing three more coils tomorrow so I'll have a good set to put in the car.

I'm also going to buy some additional coils so I can have a spare, and I'm also thinking about buying up some old coils and fixing them and selling new ones. It's actually easier than I had thought to refurbish them with new parts and get it dialed in correctly.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

Got some time the last few days to work on the car. I was able to finish the rear end rebuild. The axle bearings went in a bit harder than they came out. I assume it's because of the new sleeves I installed. I also installed new axles on both sides. I had to lightly tap them in with a wooden block. Everything moves really nice and smooth so I don't think it is going to be an issue.

Tonight I put a coat of black Rustoleum paint on the rear axle assembly to clean it up a bit. I hope to be able to get the axle installed back into the car on Sunday morning. Then I'll be able to finish installing the disc brake set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 12:19 am:

It is rare to see a rear axle housing that doesn't need straightening!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

I was able to get the car running today. It seems to be running ok. I've had a few issues that have popped up but I think I'm on my way to understanding what is going on.

I was able to get the car running well enough to drive it to pick my son up from his last day of elementary school. He is seated in the front and a few friends are in the back.
Today was "wicked fun day" which includes outdoor games and the fire dept spraying down the kids with a hose... What an addition to "Wicked Fund Day" to get a ride home in a Wicked fun car...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration