24 touring body wood assembly question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 24 touring body wood assembly question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

Hey guys, warm weather is back, finally I can get out in the garage again. The small corner blocks in-between the sill and the pillars on the lower part of the doors, how are they attached to the sill. I know the body metal is nailed to them on the curved section. Are they glued to the sill or screwed down? It is difficult to get them to fit in that space properly also. Anyone who has done a touring car did you use nails or screws to hold the body panels on? pre drilling and using screws seems much more practical to use, the wood is so hard trying to hammer nails in???? Thanks, Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

Those curved corner blocks are just nailed in.Use body nails (LANGS) to attach body metal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

use black shoe nails they are ring shank, i hold them with needle nose pliers & drive them right though 20 ga steel. get them at shoe repair shop. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Where do you find a shoe repair shop now adays?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 10:27 am:

lots of them here in the Midwest, also try saddle repair shops. i can get the # of them about $10,00 to 20.00 a pound. they are 5/8s long. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

Tom

If you have a West Marine, likely you can get silicone bronze ring shank nails there, got these at store in Jacksonville FL. Or on line too.

https://www.bargainboatparts.com/p-97177-ring-shank-nail.aspx

These nails are tougher than steel original ones Ford used, and won't bend on hammering. Hold fast.

For quick repair, ACE or other hardware sell 'panel nails' that are steel and ringed. But the heads are a bit too small for holding the steel panels to the wood frames of T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

So 5/8ths length is what I'm looking for? 1/2 inch seems plenty long enough no? And no predrilling, just slam them in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

I just looked at the body nails that Langs sells, they are basically carpet tacks 1/2in long, very strong so they can be driven straight in without possibility of bending. Thanks guys for the info

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration