Steering question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn W. Beers on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

I am working on my "23" Hack only have it for six weeks. I have replaced wheel bearings, all bushings, pittman arm, and the steering column. When turning to the right all is good, when turning to the left it looks like the pittman arm goes almost over center by that I mean when standing in front of the car looking at the pittman it rotates to almost the 9 o'clock position. With the wheels straight the pittman arm is at 7 o'clock. Is this normal? It almost looks like the drag link should be longer and that would fix the issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

When my wheels are straight, the pitman arm is straight down (at 6:00).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn W. Beers on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

I measured the drag link end to end it is 30 7/16 " long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 08:07 am:

Over center is bad. Ford introduced a stop in the steering gear housing for 1922 to reduce that possibility, but your problem sounds like a mismatch of drag link and tie rod(?)
The drag link length was changed on many occasions, see the encyclopedia: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm#scrod

Pictures of your tie rod/drag link connection would be interesting.
Six o clock for the pitman when straight ahead is ideal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

There could be several reasons the pitman arm is not straight down when the wheels are straight ahead.

At the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/88468.html Dan Treace posted the photos below. They show a worn -- egg shaped ball on the left. A New Old Stock (NOS) which had a really nice round ball in the middle. And a used but still good condition pitman arm on the right.

He didn’t use the NOS one. Why? See the photo below:

The NOS had the keyway machined in the wrong spot. Not that common – but it has happened. And as he shared, sometimes there is a reason a NOS part has not been used yet.

A more likely cause of the problem is mismatching the steering parts from various year ranges. Please see Royce’s excellent explanation of the changes in the length of draglink, the location of the ball the drag link attaches to the tie rod, and the need to ensure you have all compatible parts so they work properly together.

His posting is located at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/300409.html and it also contains a posting to an article in The Foothill’s Model T Ford Club newsletter covering the same issue at: http://www.foothillsmodeltfordclub.com/newsletters/Foothills%20Newsletter%202009%2002.pdf

I hope those will help you figure out what is causing the problem.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn W. Beers on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

Tonight I checked a few things on the steering. There is a late small steering bracket, long pitman arm, drag link is 30.400" long, and a late model tie rod all looks ok. With the toe set, the wheels straight the pitman is 15/16" off center to the left facing the front of the car. Is there a 1" longer drag link? If not I am thinking scribe a line on the drag link to keep the ends in alignment cut and weld in a spacer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 07:57 am:

Glenn,

In the Foothills Model T Newsletter article mentioned above and located at: http://www.foothillsmodeltfordclub.com/newsletters/Foothills%20Newsletter%202009%2002.pdf they have the following chart:

From that chart it looks like you may have a 1919-1924 drag link. Yes, they have a longer one for 1925. But if the rest of the steering parts are 1923, I would think something else might be causing the problem? Disclaimer -- I haven't read how they measured the distance on the drag links (end to end or center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole) and I don't know if your measurements are from the same points or not.

Good luck and please let us know what you discover.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration