Bakersfield

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bakersfield
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 12:11 am:

2017 Bakersfield meet is a wrap! If you didn't come because of predicted rain you blew it. We broke out of the rain in Fresno on the way down and did not get wet after that but had to pull down the shade tents to keep them from blowing away in the wind that came up Friday afternoon. We head a great time, bought some stuff we needed, sold some goodies, and got together with old car friends. We had dinner and the show at the Crystal Palace and shut down the bar at the Red Lion inn next door with our buddy Sherman. It doesn't get better than that. A highlight of the weekend was the purchase of the megaphone exhaust pipe from the Chris Egsgaard racer that last ran at Long Beach in 1972. My partner Bob owns that car now which took the crown the following year and now it is reunited with the car. The 'phone will ring again! It was amazing how many guys saw us with it and knew exactly what it is 45 years after it's last public appearance. There was a lot of great stuff at the meet and bargains to be had. A friend of ours bought a a turn key driver 1915 hack for $5500. Don't miss it next year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 12:24 am:

Bakersfield is the best damn prewar swap meet bar non. Got there early Friday am and as I got out of my car I spotted a bunch of Budd wire wheels and hubs. I ended up with 7 30x3-1/2 wire wheels 10 hubs and nuts, a Budd wrench, a special Budd hub puller and some extra hub nuts. SCORE!!! really fair price and now on their way to Seattle.

The prices were very fair and the quantity and quality of the goods were excellent. Clam shell T rear ends were plentiful as were open valve motors and bare blocks/

A very nice 1909 older restoration touring Serial number 73xx was there as a reasonable price. It may have needed some things changed but in all it was a very nice car.

A barn fresh 1914 roadster with 2 wheel trailer was available at $11 grand or offer. Lots of good brass era parts and some interesting brass era cars for sale.

If you did not get there, shame on you , you missed some good stuff good prices, and lots of good friends.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 12:53 am:

Had a great time, sold a lot of parts and visited many good friends. Look forward to doing it again next year. I brought an enclosed trailer with many model T parts along with brass lights and other items for other early cars. The trailer had doors on each end which made it easy for buyers to search thru the parts with out the need of me having to unload everything.
Even Mark Chaffin found T parts for his collection or for re-sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 01:12 am:

I agree it was a great show. I brought my dad who is getting his model A running. He insisted we go on Friday, so I had to take the day off work. We got there at 9:15 and left around 4:00. We only did one trip around! We spend so much time looking at each vendors pile of parts. My dad needed two model A shocks. We came home with eight. Sum were in really bad shape, but at $2 each we figured we would get them.

I got parts for my rear end rebuild. I need to get that done, so I can get the car back on the road. I also got some trinkets everything from babbitt scrapers and nice files to full welding torch set to oiler and ignition switch from a car in the 1920s. All at prices I couldn't leave and I was trying hard not to spend money.

I hope to go back again next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 01:32 am:

This car was not for sale.

But my dads favorite!

The owner said it was left out on a river bank near Visalia for many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 02:42 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 02:53 am:

We met with a bunch of great guys at the meet. I regret I did not meet Brass Car Guy or Freighter Jim in person. I sure liked the Stanley Steamer that made the rounds at Bakersfield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 02:55 am:

First time online as I sit in the only room in the Wawona (I refuse to call it the new name) trying to unwind after a day in the valley. For those of you wondering after we left Bakersfield we drove here with the trailer. There were some good finds at the swap meet including a nice carbide generator, perfecto housing, various sherman parts ;) and steering column bits. Today we drove into the valley (left the trailer at the hotel) and was able to introduce the wife to waterfalls and snow for the first time. Lets just leave the part about the chains out.

Anyways some pictures I shot.

Currently our trip odometer is at about 3600 miles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 07:37 am:

Saw the megaphone tailpipe on your shoulder Friday afternoon.

Great meet - again.

For those who could not make it - there is always next year.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 11:19 am:

Les,

I told you. It's a disease! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 11:27 am:

I also wanted to give a shout out for the guys who made this happen to get it back with the car Frank Harris , humble Howard Genrich and Jay Mccoord For letting come back with the car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

Sounds like there's another story to tell here: how did that unique tailpipe leave the car?
Chadwick, I'm with you, how an individual company can "own" the historic facility names in a National Park is beyond me. Great pics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

BCG- that was a smoking deal on those Budd wheels. They were in the swap space adjacent to ours. If I wasn't a Buffalo/Dayton guy, I would have bought those in a second. There was one other Budd 30x3Ĺ there in pretty nice shape over in row B. It was still there Saturday morning when we pulled out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 02:19 pm:

Indeed, it was another great Bakersfield. Bought some parts I needed, bought some parts I wanted, and bought some stuff because it seemed like the right thing to do at the moment. It always amazes me how much "fresh" merchandise comes to Bakersfield. If you like early Ts or speed equipment, there was lots available. As usual, there were some nice cars on display and for sale. It really is a very special place.

Thanks to HCCA and the Model T club for continuing the tradition and making this one of the most anticipated events of the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

Was a great meet great friends new and old got some goodies told some stories great night with rumble seat garage and friends at Buck Owens - Crystal Palace.
Cant wait till next year but next event or gathering coming soon
Kern county T club and HCCA group always doese a great job Hats off to those groups
Nv bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

David, the megaphone exhaust was a crowd pleaser but did not give the engine its best performance. Chris put on a tuned header the next year and won the crown. After his victory Chris took the car apart and the exhaust sat outside for many years. I last saw it laying on the ground by the fence about 25 years ago. Humble Howard wound up with it and maybe a couple others before us. Bob and I are putting the car back together as it took the hill in 1973, but we will put the big exhaust on it for a while just for fun and post up a video. Going to be a while yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

Even though I only attended for two hours Saturday morning I managed to score some good deals. Four coils with a later coil box for $40 (coils tested good on my ECCT), a good trans shaft for $5 (already polished it on my lathe).

I was disappointed that many vendors had already left Saturday morning early.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

Philip: I'm glad the coils worked out for you. I hadn't had a chance to test them :-)
We sold most of the parts we brought on Friday and had a few more sales Saturday. By noon it was windy & closing up so we headed home. I only wish I had more time to shop. It was very busy on Friday.
Cindy & I really enjoy this swap meet and will be back again next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

You need to be there on Friday. Many vendors bail out late Friday. I don't get it. We wait all year for this. Why not stay a little longer so guys coming on Saturday get to see everything?
There sure was a boatload of Ruckstells and killer deals on accessory wire wheels. We did very well, got some deals on parts we are running out of like drive shafts and tubes, demountable bands, clutch hubs, and scored a deal on a very choice set of TT high speed gears. Kept some promises and delivered projects there as well. A great swap meet indeed. Did some business with Kim Dobbins too. Kim's a beacon of integrity and fairness, not to mention a foremost authority on model T's. Did anyone check out the triple ignition Sterling industrial engine running? That was cool. Breakfast burritos at the food vendor were terrific.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Fast Frank here. I met Chris Egsgaard just six weeks before he died. I purchased the body out of the rafters. but he would not sell me the wheels or the engine. Howard Genrich and I took the engine to another guy because Chris never wanted the car to run again. That fellow didn't now what to do with it and because I had the car I made him a deal. I gave him a good to go rebuilt T engine with some trick stuff on it like big valves and a trick cam. I gave him enough money to buy a high compression head and gave him the proper Zenith carburetor to make it go.

Howard Genrich was with me and I wanted the spaghetti headers that made the record run up Shell Hill but Howard wanted the car to run as it was when painted orange before the winning run as painted blue. Howard hid the headers from me and would not let me find them so I came home with no exhaust system at all. The hood had been modified for the headers and thatís why I wanted them for history. Howard wanted a dog and pony show with a lot of noise and I wanted it to be historically correct when it was the fastest car ever on the Hill. Howard picked up the megaphone and hung it in his garage but hid the spaghetti headers from me while we were at Chrisís barn. He later sold the megaphone to a guy to hang on his garage wall.

We delivered the engine to the buyer because Chris would not sell it to me because he did not ever want it to run again, thatís the way he was. I bargained with the new owner and you can read above what I did to get the engine. I had the engine professionally rebuilt by the same company that rebuilt the two up two down engine and spent hell of a lot of money keeping it correct. We had to modify it a bit to make it street runnable and today it is about the most powerful Model T engine in the world. It is going in my new project car with the assistance of the plans generously shared with me by my friend Terry Horlick.

No money has been spared in the remaking of this car into a road worthy vehicle and fun car which I am calling the Mountain Wagon. Itís Depot Hack with a convertible top that folds down and several row of seat for a lot of passengers. We are using a TT frame with all modern bearings and safety items to make it workable in todayís world of high speed.

Toady

Hill Climber

Orange

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

Hey that green car is my old Toady... the mountain wagon I designed and built, my first model T! The day I sold it my wife says " why did you sell that, it's the only car you have I liked!" I wish she would have told me that a day earlier, I would never have sold it... if I could remember who bought it I would buy it back in a minute. Instead two friends have copies of my plans!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

And here it is hanging in the barn at my house the window you see is my home office or was Egsgaard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

Frank that the beast always seen this pucture as a kidd well still one.

Couple nice speedsters and picture of the Palace show

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 02:14 am:

Terry, been wanting to ask you if you and your Mountain Wagon with family were on the Denver tour in 77'?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 02:36 am:

Had to rework that WAWONA picture!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 11:23 am:

Frank, any idea where the headers are today?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

David MUCH Better Thanks... Private ownership of historic names should be against the law..
Excuse the drift, Sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

Yesterday doesn't matter for anything. Tomorrow isn't important at all. The only things we care about is stroking our own egos and making money today.
Welcome to the modern way.

I am still looking for more good photos of the swap meet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Wayne make sure your at auburn I have many more things for no charge from the brown estate. Some things a buck or 2 some free but I want to make sure you come and see Eric and I I think we still have a half dozen fenders or yard art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

Robert W, I will try to get to Auburn. I still need lots of stuff to end up in my estate!
June 4th this year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 12:26 am:

Lloyd (my T friend who isn't on the internet) thinks we should take stuff to Auburn to sell--some if it is not T stuff, like Buick woodspoke wheels, there's some time still to figure out what we'll bring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 12:36 am:

David D if you cant decide you best just come and buy more

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 01:30 am:

Just going would be much simpler--having a space involves either staying overnight there OR getting up REALLY early, something I don't do well anymore. Hmm, knowing my friend, that will be the choice.
Buying more isn't a good choice either!!!! Unless it's stuff I need, like a good ring & pinon. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:22 am:

A special thanks to Tom VanMeeteren of "NOS Early Ignition" for hauling the 1916 T motor /trans. unit from Bakersfield to Ault,Co. ...thank you also Tony Bowker for getting this unit to Bakersfield , Tony , I hope that all is improving with your family situation ...I will be at Bakersfield meet next year ...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:37 am:

David,

There are primitive hot showers & restrooms.

If you get a space - you can spend Wednesday night setting up.

I parked overnight in the parking lot next to the Swap - woke up early & found I was locked in - wanted to get a shower but gate(s) were locked to Swap entrance.

One exit gate to alley was open - drove out only to find either alley gate was locked ...

So I parked until daylight- found Tom ? from HCCA who helped start Bakersfield Swap 26 years ago - helped back me out of the alley back into the lot.

I gave him an MTFCA Museum t shirt .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

Jim, you mean Sat. night? It's a Sunday only meet, although folks do set up Sat--and deals are made then, however my friend is 7th day, so that idea is out. Me? I'm just a Heathen Methodist, don't even have to explain why I wasn't in church!!
:-)
Hey, the swap meet is the Church of Rust isn't it?
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

David,

I meant Thursday night .....

I got there Thursday mid day to meet a guy & unload a 1913 Reo from my trailer - I started posting videos after that.

Thursday late afternoon is when the vendors started setting up

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

I don' know!
Third base!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Lewis on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

Bakersfield is again the best swap meet Ive been to in a long long time. Took a couple ton of parts and came home light. Met alot of good people and put faces to names on the classified and forums. Thanks to Eric Barrets clan for good spaces and conversation. Headed to Auburn meet in May.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Lewis on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Be better if I went in June I guess.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

And it looks like this year, once again, the SCVMTFC Endurance Run WILL NOT be on the same weekend as the Auburn Swap Meet! Their two day event being on the 10th and 11th of June. So there should be a lot of model T people able to make the swap meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

Fj think mr DD switch up on you talking about Auburn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick D'Antonio on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

The Egsgaard car is really nice and I'm glad Bob Weitzel has it. I'm glad the car has been reunited with it's megaphone exhaust. I think Frank is a little confused about it being the fastest car ever up the hill though. Egsgaard won the 1973 hill climb with a time of 7.74 while La Rue Thomas holds pride of place with the fastest car ever when he won the 1977 hill climb with a time of 7.18.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Nick- If I am not mistaken, weren't you were the last person to be crowned King of the Hill? I remember the last LBMTC hill climb, and a tear comes to my eyes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Jack if your headed to auburn we have a ton of stuff Hope to see you there and you take some of ours

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

We would like to also reunite the car with the headers it was using when it won Chris the crown. It's unclear where they are. Speaking of the crown, I have had the privilege of seeing and holding it. I would never presume to put it on my head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 01:43 am:

Nevada Bob is right, FJ is talking about Bakersfield (which Lloyd DID go too, as it's on Friday) and I'm talking about Auburn. I think I'd be better selling my early stuff at Bakersfield, and think I'll suggest that to Lloyd, although it means hanging onto the stuff another year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Sherman on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

Well, they outlawed overheads after 77. The next king of the hill was Jerry Sherman (Black Bart Engines, Giant Equipment Manufacturing and Sherman Racing) in 1978. The time was 8.97. I think the record still stands for the flat head. I have a feeling the crown may be somewhere on my mom's property but I can't be sure after hanging out with the Auburn Boys in B-field (still a little foggy). I asked my mom to look around and I'll search this weekend. She said it was a perpetual trophy that was returned every year. But maybe Black Bart won again in 79. I'll keep you posted and if I find it it's going with all the other trophy's and I'll send you a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

Right jerry my head just starting to clear
Just keep my car on the low end unless anyone knows of a sugar mama

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Sherman on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 11:23 pm:

I saw a post from 2012 and it shows Chris E. wearing the crown in 1992. Maybe it's in Reseda.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 11:01 am:

I remember when Jerry Sherman won King of the Hill. I thought Nick D'Antonio won the following (and last) year? I could be mistaken-you know how memories are!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 11:05 am:

A quick glimpse back to the good ole days
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6nPVmn70Gqc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Sherman on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 11:41 am:

Ron, I believe you are correct. Ed, thanks for the video.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

Yes, the rear engine entry...wasn't it a winner? It (rear engines) was banned too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

See new posting "Long Beach Model T Club hill climb" for more info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick D'Antonio on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

The King of the Hill trophy was passed from winner to winner each year with the current King of the Hill keeping it in his possession until a new King was "crowned". Since I am the last King of the Hill I still have the trophy. }King of the Hill Trophy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Sherman on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Nick, great photo. Didn't see you at Bakersfield. You going to Long Beach swap meet? Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

That's a nice picture of Michelle wearing the crown... But who's that young fella kissin on her??:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

no pics of old stuff at the meet,must not have been much there????? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

Sooo much stuff to look at - no time to get a camera out !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

Steve is right. There was LOTS and LOTS of parts and LOTS of really great cars. The quality was better than ever before, in my opinion. I am surprise no one has posted photos, but, I didn't take any either. There are some good car photos on the AACA forum www.aaca.org Go to the Swap Meet section and scroll down to Bakersfield

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration