Put + battery on - etc, damage?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Put + battery on - etc, damage?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 12:18 am:

We reversed the + - battery cables by mistake and cranked it. Then discovered what was going on and reversed it. Any possible damage we might have done?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 12:23 am:

Probably not. Put them back on where they belong and start it. If it charges and your ammeter is correct, you didn't hurt nuttin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 07:38 am:

Death on a electronic voltage regulator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 09:33 am:

Older engines that didn't use any of the newer transistorized, electronic devices in the electrical circuit are pretty forgiving when things get reversed or shorted. That doesn't mean it can't happen. It just not very often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:27 am:

If a Fun Projects Voltage Regulator was installed you likely destroyed it. Sometimes they can survive but then turning the battery around if it is damaged will then finish it off. Contact me BEFORE you try again with the battery polarity corrected if in fact you had a Voltage Regulator installed on the car. Please don't proceed to just "try it" first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

Crazy as it may sound, I "highlight" my battery posts with the "+" and "-" with one of those yellow paint pens. Often it's kinda dark "down there" working on batteries, this helps to see what type post better, not to mention to "wake ya up" when you're doing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

Oops, I apologize for giving misinformation. I did the same thing once on my '38 Ford and didn't have a problem but that didn't have any modern electronics to deal with. I hope it works out okay.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration