How does it work, Kingston L4

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How does it work, Kingston L4
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 11:04 am:

I'm restoring a Kingston L4 carburetor. I'm doing a Tech Meeting in two weeks and had this old dirty Kingston L4 to do a little show and tell on something other than a NH Holley. I have it cleaned up and ready to lay out to show the parts. I don't understand how the darn thing works. The needle valve doesn't seem to screw into anything. I look inside and don't see a seat nor does the blowup in Lang's show a seat for the needle valve to enter. Does anyone have a reference or manual or anything that explains how this carburetor operates?

Lang's drawing from catalog

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 11:15 am:

The needle seat screws in the same way. There is a gasket top and bottom. The faster you go that metal flapper inside raises up due to air flow and leans the mixture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

Seeing so many parts not available I'm glad I don't have a car that uses one! And I sure's heck wouldn't put one of those nasty Grose jets in it either, that they say "optional".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

The seat is a drilled hole in the bottom of the fuel supply/air flow chamber. That seat is supplied with fuel by the passage drilled into the side of the riser (above the stem where the gasket fits on between the flange and the bowl). If you clean it well you can see the supply hole when you look down through the threaded hole where the adjustment rod screws in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Schrepfer on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

7/16" fuel level from top of bowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Schrepfer on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

7/16" fuel level from top of bowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

Bit of info on the L-4

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration