Don't you hate it when...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Don't you hate it when...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

...the headlight rim pops off in traffic and the car behind you runs over it?

I had unhappy visions of a major expense until I looked up the price of a new one and found it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. But what about the quality of the new ones? Anybody here have some experience to share?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

Steve, A good metal worker could repair that one. I've met some pretty talented guys at plating shops that could repair it. Unfortunately the cost would probably be more than a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

I think John is right. Might try a good body shop as well. Is it original to your car ? After a repair the patina would just add to your story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

A good music horn shop should have the capabilities to restore it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

Its no wonder it fell off,it was on the fender!
Just poking at you Steve. Not a great day but you were driving a T so its not all bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

Try atlaschrome.com in Houston, Tx. They do all kinds of plating. They did a good job on my steering gear case. Contact them about what you need. You can send them a pic of your rim.
That's what I did for my steering gear case. They gave me an estimate and I got the job done.

They may can help you. Wont cost a thing to see what they can do for you. They advertise they do custom fabrication.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

Steve I think I have a decent one for a '15 I'll give ya, just cover the postage. PM me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

Steve it happened to me at a car show, My Curved Dash Olds left headlamp bracket vibration cracked and dropped my Neverout #80 headlamp and I ran over it before I could stop. I almost croaked, these lites were about 110 years old, a matched cherry set. Anyway Out of absolute desperation I carried the lamp home, annealed the brass and started pecking. I finally got it shaped up, sanded the door with progressively finer paper, then polished it up. Looks pretty good but it won't ever be the same to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

left out the damaged one....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

Steve, your rim is the later type from the improved cars of 26-7, so a replacement shouldn't be too hard to find. Those long lens clamps with the two little tabs are designed to keep the fluted lens in the later lights on the vertical. A true 15 rim has much smaller round clips that just hold a plain glass lens in place, with no need to stop it rotating.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

I'd get the other guys insurance and file a claim. I mean, after all, that a $1,000 part, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Steve I think I may have one that you can have...if what I have is the same

What does the back of yours look like?

Edit: I see the top photo on yours. I'll look at mine and see if the fasteners are the same.

(Message edited by Rustyfords on April 09, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Here it is Steve.

I think it's a match for yours. It looks like brass...needs polishing, but overall it's in decent shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

I think that's a $2,000 part.

We are Farmers...bump,bump,bumpmbump, bump,bump bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

I'd like to try my hand at fixing something like that, but then again I'm kind of a glutton for punishment when it comes to saving old parts. If you're willing to let an amateur take his time trying to beat it out let me know. But if I know you, you'll try it yourself for the same reasons. Good luck!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration