Seats - is this horse hair?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Seats - is this horse hair?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

The three pictures below show the padding that was inside of one of my old seat cushions. I took a clump of it inside to show my family and they thought I had killed a squirrel.

I believe it is horse hair. It provides a nice layer between the springs and some other padding and it is also wrapped around the edge of the seat.

Is this horse hair or something else?HairHair1Hair2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 12:32 am:

Love the induvidually wrapped springs and the horse hair!
Very interesting to a fella that has never seen such a thing.
What year is that cushion from?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 06:58 am:

Wrapping springs is common in a lot of antique cars, if you take apart keep track of each row of springs, as there can be different spring sizes and spring rates in each row. Also, sometimes end springs are doubled to give more support. The sock also determines height of seat when spring is sewed into it.

I've done a lot of these, trying to attach a picture of a Packard seat but not letting me, originally wrapped in heavy burlap, I put a layer of material inside burlap to better hold the spring.

Curled, sterilized horsehair is still available, although most you can buy is a mixture of horse and hog hair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 07:04 am:

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 10:33 am:

If the horsehair is not dried out and brittle, you can wash it by hand in mild detergent like Woolite and reuse it.

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on April 10, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 10:47 am:

I was told that Henry used Spanish Moss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 10:55 am:

Spanish moss in Model T Fords is a myth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

Is that a Ford spring? If it is what did it come out of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

When I bought my 1924 coupe, it came with seats, and an extra seat bottom and seat back. This is the extra seat back that I did not use in my coupe. I am not certain that it is from a Model T.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration