Does anyone have pictures of the seat back springs for their Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Does anyone have pictures of the seat back springs for their Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 04:55 pm:

I have a 1923 Touring. I have good seat bottoms for both the front and back seats. However, I have no back springs and don't know if they're different than what I have in my 1924 Coupe.

Does anyone have a picture of the seatbacks for a 1923 touring so I can get an idea of what I need to search for or need to create?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

Snyder's manufactures T seat springs, you can get from them or other vendors supply too.

touring backrest spring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

Eric I don't Know if this will help these are from a 1924 touring, 1st one is the rear seat back second is the front, second pic is upside down.
Since you have the bottoms can you give me the measurements of the front seat spring length and width of where it sits in the base

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

pics would probably be more helpful if they were mounted in the car, sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Eric,

No, none of the seat springs for the coupe are the same as the touring. Ref Snyder's catalog:
See: http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/1922-25-roadster-touring-amp-roadster-pickup-s eat-springs for 1922-25 touring seat springs.

and

See: http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/1915-27-model-t-coupe-seat-springs for the Coupe. Note the order numbers are different.

Note that also agrees with the Price List of Parts that shows the 1924-25 Coupe back rest as part # 18191X (later used part number 18191RX where the "R" indicated it was for replacement and NOT for current production. That "R" would have been added when the 1924-25 style was replaced with the 1926 style). (Note that part probably has upholstery on it based on the way things were described.) Looking for just the back rest springs for the 1924-25 Coupe - I never figured out where they are listed in the price list of parts.

So far, I have not found anything that would indicate the touring back rest seat cushion would be the same as the coupe back rest cushion.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

Hey Eric could you possibly get me those measurements, thanks Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

Doug:
Sorry for the delayed response.

Below are pictures of the front seat bottom for the '23
Touring.
Front edge measurement:
Front edge

Back edge measurement:
Back edge

Front seat width:
Width

Below are pics of the back seat bottom.
Front edge measurement:
Back front

Back edge measurement:
Back back

Back seat width:

Back width

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

If you are going to reupholster your car, bite the bullet and invest in new seat spring. Don't bother with 90 year old worn out spring that you have, buy all new you will be glad you did.
The springs are the foundation of a good ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:42 am:

My Betsy is a cut-off touring, here are her front seat back springs mounted on some custom seat back wood that I made in an attempt to get more legroom. I also compressed the bottom of the spring pack and tied it back with wire to make the lower part of the spring shallower.

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

Hey Mark, how do you gain more leg room by adding wood behind the seat and bringing the seat back closer to the steering wheel??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

I added thinner (but wider) wood than the factory did. Here are a couple of pictures of factory wood that normally would support the seat back:

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Does a touring car have wood behind the front seat? When I took apart my 24 it had that wood behind the back seat and none in the front, the spring was just resting against the metal???
Also Mark what is the fabric strips holding the spring up and where do you get it? I seem to see a lot of cars that have that thanks, Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

I don't know if '24 tourings came from Ford with wood behind the front seat, but I'm sure another member will know.

Since my Betsy is a cut-off touring made into a pickup, I used pictures of roadsters as a guide for setting up the seat area. If it is true that the springs can be set directly on the seat back sheet metal, that indeed would have given me even more legroom than I have now. I would be a little worried about the spring frame eventually denting the seat back metal, but maybe it's a non-issue. Can someone more knowledgeable comment?

Regarding the spring hangar straps, I looked around in my "junk parts" box and found an old camera bag nylon strap that was just taking up space, so I cut it up, sealed the ends with a lighter to keep them from fraying, and used it to hang the seat back spring. Not OEM, but effective. I would assume that Ford originally used top or seat upholstery scraps for the hangers, but I don't have proof of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

One other thing to note in my picture is that the corner cast brackets for the top saddle arms do not perfectly fit the contour of the touring car front seat back metal. I actually broke off one of the legs of the first bracket trying to bend it.

This turned out to be a blessing, because I was then able to replace the broken-off leg with a piece of steel strapping, which could be twisted to fit the contour properly. It worked so well that I cut a leg of the other bracket and made the same modification to it.

I then cut a steel rod that spanned the space between the brackets, put a dot of paint on each end of the rod, and slid the rod side-to-side so that it put a dot of paint on the inside of the body, showing where to drill the holes for the top saddle rods to poke through. Once I drilled a small pilot hole from the inside, I then enlarged the hole from the outside with a step drill to the proper size for the top saddle rod.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Yes, the straps holding the spring are what's known as "findings"--scraps of leftover material "found" on the floor (thus, "findings"), usually, but not always, top material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

Can someone with an original 1924 touring car comment on whether the front seat back springs were supported by wood strips from the factory?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 04:18 pm:

David, Merriam Webster has another definition for findings:

findings plural : small tools and supplies used by an artisan (as a dressmaker, jeweler, or shoemaker)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Mark, I thought Don Allen with the 24 Touring barn find would chime in

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 02:33 am:

Thomas, Neat that Webster's has a definition for it--still sounds like "stuff" "found" around the workbench!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 08:22 am:

Found this image of the 23-25 Touring wood in my files. I think it came out of the parts book. It doesn't show much wood in the front seat back other than the rail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

'23 touring front seat, only wood is tack strip, the backrest spring hangs from the tack strip with fabric 'findings'. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

Thanks, Stephen and Dan! Sounds like I missed an opportunity to have even more leg room on Betsy. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration