OT - Crank Starting our Model K (following a few technical difficulties) :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Crank Starting our Model K (following a few technical difficulties) :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

I wasn't sure how soon I'd be able to crank start and drive our Model K following hip replacement. Turned out the answer was, four days......

Let the summer begin!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/er4max3lllvqw8j/Video%20Apr%2009%2C%203%2014%2026%20PM.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

You are the human energizer bunny....never tire of those "K" rated videos.......thanks for posting and everyone will be happy to see your therapy session!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

Incredible Rob. Glad to see you bounce back so well.

Don't show this to Doc!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

That looks really good Rob. What's next? Maybe a little one on one hoops? Calf roping? It's nice to see you're doing good. Just don't overdo it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Thanks guys. I'm happy to learn that I'm able to drive the K. It can be a bit of a bear to crank, I wasn't sure with less than a good base (both legs) how it would work. Should be fine.

Mike, I'll see you somewhere in MN this summer. We're doing our annual "Informal tour" at Paynesville prior to New London to New Brighton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

Rob,

Can you get a free start from the K and Fords before the T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

Thomas,
Yes, especially the sixes. Firing every 120 degrees it's even easier than with a four cylinder.

Here's a video from our K touring showing free starts:

https://youtu.be/93Ez6UAPgbo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 02:20 am:

Moving pretty good!
Now. Get to those hay bales.
:-)

(Don't overdo it!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 07:39 am:

Hi Rob,

I am so pleased to read and see that you can successfully operate the K's commencer. Being at the helm of that mighty conveyance will aid in your full recovery.

Many of us here will assure you that mental health and well being has ever so much influence on physical health. Be well, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 07:43 am:

Good to see you up and around so fast! Is there 3 forms of ignition on your K/640 ? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 08:34 am:

Rob,

Looking good...staying sharp...have fun but don't over do it.

That old Ranger for life stuff (like a Trident for life) is a nice thought and a bit iconic for the young bucks coming along. It's also a good focus point each waking day...but...shhh...even the older guys will give you a pass on a few things when the young bucks are not looking...slow and easy partner...let them bones knit around them screws a tad but still have fun in the process!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 09:12 am:

Again, impressive. With that sort of recovery time I may stop putting off getting the right hip done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 09:28 am:

My dad was a surgeon. He doctored to support his farming habit. Ruptured a disc picking up a horse trailer (the jack just took too long) and they had to graft bone and put a clamp thing in there. Lots of hammering and chiseling in the process of fuzing the joint. He was walking down the hall the next morning with the IV cart and a nurse chasing him telling him to get back in bed. He always said the trick was to get moving quick after surgery. He would approve Rob!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

Thank you guys......
Bud, yes, three.

1. Coils on battery (entirely separate system, with separate switch, coils and plugs).

2. Capacitive Discharge System (first ever used on production automobile), consisting of a "generator," separate capacitor, distributor and coil).

3. The distributor on the CDI system may on switch be changed over to battery, and then the coil in the CDI becomes the "master coil" for the battery/coil/distributor system. Very unique, and redundant system, and I don't believe another setup like this existed on the market.

George, I'm trying to temper will and determination to work with the reality of my circumstances. With that said, I believe controlled stress on areas affected (hip, pelvis and tissue) will help speed recovery and strengthen the joint. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.... :-)

Steve, I like and respect your Dad's attitude. My Dad was the toughest man I knew, and he taught me through example, that each breath and day bring new opportunities, however you must get up and answer the bell.............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

OH yeah...right Heyen...way to go...Too sick to go plow the North 40 but not too sick to run around in the Model K! :-)

I enjoyed the video glad to see your mending.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

Great job Rob! You must be a superman to crank start that beast only 4 days after hip replacement! I know you're not a mere mortal like the rest of us, but please try to take care. I'd miss the videos and stories! Plus it's the closest I'll ever get to a Model K!
Best wishes and good health,

Bob Bishop
San Diego, CA (formerly Omaha)
MTFCA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

Denny....... and the point is.... :-)

Bob, you're going to have to plan a visit "back east" to Omaha. The Speedster Reunion in Lincoln in late June is a great chance to visit an incredible event, collection of cars and personalities........ And I'll be there, competing in the "six cylinder" division......

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration