Burned engine oil and failure in gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Burned engine oil and failure in gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christian Petersson on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

Good day

I have a problem with my Engine in my model T. Last summer when I was driving in a summer day the car start to act strange. When i should change to high speed gear the car would not pick up speed and when I give some more throttle the car start to "jump" and "hack" and would not handle the high speed. It felt like no power in the engine. I stop right away and check and I see that the engine oil had reduced to half and was all black and smelled burned. I dismantled the engine and transmission and check everything for cracks or other failure. All bearings looks fine. I replaced some parts in the transmission at the same time. New drum for the transmission disks due to worn notches, new disks, kevlar band, bushings in the transmission etc. My father had replaced the piston rings and the valves two years earlier so they where almost new as well.
I followed the handbook carefully and mounted everything together again. But have the same problem. Low speed gear works fine but high speed just jump and not pick up speed. Smoke is coming out of the oil fill plug and the oil smells burned. I also made a compression test of the cylinders and they almost have the same readings all four. Is there someone have any idea and a solution of my problem I would be gratefull:-)
Best regards
Christian P
SWEDEN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

Puzzling problem, indeed.. (we've already discussed the most common causes at the Swedish Model T forum at Facebook)
Did you check for proper gas flow?
Did you check so the clutch spring was strong enough before assembly? It should give a force of about 110 lbs or 50 kg when compressed to 2" length. (I usually check them in a large vice with a bath room scale.)

Did you try adjust the three clutch screws half a turn tighter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Roger
I agree that it sure sounds like the clutch is slipping

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

All symptoms of a clutch out of adjustment - possible weak spring, out of adjustment at the "fingers", or the pedal cam or a combination of the three.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christian Petersson on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 11:40 pm:

Thanks all of you, I write an answer and posted it but its just disappeared:-(. I have a brand new spring installed. The old one had no longer the tension needed. I also adjust the clutch according to the workbook, the distance between the "clutch shift" and the "drive plate shaft flange with the tool from Snyders. But I will adjust the clutch fingers screws half a turn more and see the outcome. I will come back with update:-)
/Christian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 10:47 am:

Christian,

I believe your engine has a miss. You won't notice as much in low gear, but when you shift to high, and the engine is turning slower, any misfire is very noticeable and will make the car jump and buck. Especially when you give it more throttle. Before you get into your clutch, can you tell me if you've done anything to the ignition system lately? Have you cleaned and inspected your timer? Do you have spare coils you can swap out?

Please be sure you've got good ignition before you start adjusting your clutch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 11:14 am:

Jerry, excellent advice. No sense faulting the clutch if the engine isn't running smooth. You should be able to diagnose a miss without having to be under way.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration