OT - Hagerty & Learning to Drive the 'Stick Shift'

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Hagerty & Learning to Drive the 'Stick Shift'
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

Hagerty has a free class. Wonder if they also teach driving the 'T'???
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ownership/if-you-want-to-learn-to-drive-a-sticksh ift-this-is-the-best-way-to-do-it/ar-BByBgvR?li=BBnbfcL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Or anything with an unsynchronized crash box, like a Model A or my 1912 Buick?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Or a car such as my Metz, with it's friction drive transmission AND (get a load of this) a "clutch" pedal which must be depressed to engage (it ratchets into position for driving and you tap it with your toe to release it) And, AND a brake pedal which also serves as the Parking Brake. That pedal ratchets into position to act as the parking brake, but when driving and you want/need to slow or stop the car you depress the pedal, it ratchets to that position And Stays There until you tap it with your toe to release it.

And the throttle lever is down for closed and up for full throttle.

Yes, you have to be "on your toes" to drive a Metz. No texting, no changing CDs, no eating a pizza, nothing else, you gotta pay attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

Everybody did something different, back in the day. The one-cylinder Cadillac, like the Metz, had a ratchet on the foot brake to hold it down for parking. The Sears highwheeler, like the Metz, had friction drive. But it didn't have a ratchet; you had to hold the pedal down all the time, like climbing Mt. Washington in low in a T. The Stanley's steam throttle, like the Metz, is up to go; it can get interesting if I suddenly have to slow down and forget I'm not driving a T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

I took a C-60 or 70 dump truck to get it inspected one time and as I was explaining to the guy how all the toggle switches work everything (rats got in the wires) and how to drive it he just said,"I don't really care about all that, where is your insurance and that will be $7"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration