Distance between drive shaft and engine.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Distance between drive shaft and engine.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 08:12 am:

Connected my rebuilt rear axle to the frame and noticed that there is about 1/2" gap between the ball cap flange on the drive shaft to where it would bolt to the end of the engine. Hmmm ... maybe because the flexibility of rear spring? Don't remember seeing this before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 08:33 am:

Loosen the rear spring perch nuts just a little,pull driveshaft into it's place and then re-tighten perch nuts,replacing cotter pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 08:33 am:

If the ball is outboard the 4th main, then perhaps the square tang of the U-joint isn't seated?

Should look like this when the u-joint end is mated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Mark,

Haul back on your parking brake lever and see if it doesn't pull the u-joint ball up a little closer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

Jerry,

I put the rebuilt rear axle on the frame yesterday ... no engine or brake lever installed yet. Just noticed when I set the engine pan in the frame that there was a distance I don't remember seeing before. The rear spring is in better condition than the one I removed. Maybe the spring just needs to be loosened and pushed forward.

chassis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

1/2 inch gap
Most likely you pulled the vehicle forward and the slop in the spring moved the rear end back a bit before you put the pan in place.
I had the same issue and used the bolts to align things.
I wouldn't go thru all the trouble of loosening the springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

I figured it was something simple .... there is no way to change the actual geometry other than spring fudging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

Mark,

Most likely when you have the weight of an assembled car sitting on the chassis, it will cause the torque tube to get closer to horizontal and have the effect of elongating it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

Jerry,

You should have seen me jumping up and down on the rear frame while trying to insert the second L type shackle. I'm sure my neighbors enjoyed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

Jerry,

You should have seen me jumping up and down on the rear frame while trying to insert the second L type shackle. I'm sure my neighbors enjoyed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

Did you put grease into the back of the planetary? It is a very good idea to do so. But sometimes the grease packs forward and can prevent the U-joint from going all the way in.
With a little careful pressure applied with the four bolts, the grease will usually squeeze back out in the corners of the U-joint square. (Slowly!)
Just a thought. Been there. Done that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Mark,

Funny. I know exactly what you mean. I think my neighbors gave up following my antics years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Most of us "old car" nuts are known in our neighborhood as being kind of "weird" but in a fun sort of way. At the neighborhood picnic I always bring my T and everybody wants a ride. I try to build coils during the winter time when all my neighbors have their windows closed so I don't have to worry about the smell of tar being traced to my house all the time. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration