Hand Crank Length?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hand Crank Length?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

My car is a 1914 Touring, problem is the hand crank won't engage if the return spring is mounted on the front side of the crank. When I bought the car, the spring was missing. I installed a new spring but the ratchet teeth would not engage the crank pins. It appears the crank needs to be about 1" longer to allow the spring to be installed and the ratchet to engage the crank pins. Were there different lengths of cranks over the years? My crank handle doesn't match any of the vendors' replacement handle. My handle is approximately 1" in diameter and is straight, no bulge in the middle. The length of the part where the spring and ratchet mount is approximately 6", need one about 1" longer. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

Jerry, The dimension from the center of the "arm" to the end of the shaft is 7 +/- 1/8". The ratchet hole is 5/8" back from the end.

Measured another way, the small spring hole is 5-1/8" from the pin hole for the ratchet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

David, thanks for the measurements, I'll check mine tomorrow. I think my crank has been changed at some point, will look for another. Thanks
Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 11:48 pm:

It is not unusual to have the pan snout out of alignment, or have the crank bent backwards past a 90 degree angle.

They both need to be checked.

Putting in an inch will not hurt anything. Cut the crank off, just before the curve of the crank, leave the spring hole there, and make the new shaft 1 inch longer. The pin hole has to be the same direction as the old one, as you know.

One good thing about an extra inch, is your thumb will be far enough from the Radiator so your thumb knuckle will not create a unwanted path in your Radiator fins, like mine did years ago.

We have built many cranks like that. I had an accessorie crank in a 1925 touring for 40 years that was about 12 inches from the front. It worked fine. I should have kept it when I sold the car.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:39 am:

Sounds to me like your bushing needs replacing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:47 am:

Or, your bushing has worked it's way out - verify that the bushing is even with the c.c. snout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Thanks everyone, will check your inputs. On the way to the shop now!!
Thanks all
Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Update, checked length per the above information, my crank is 1" too short. Sometime in it's previous life a shorter crank was installed, possibly because that was all they had on hand. My friend added an extra inch to the crank, also per one of the above suggestions so now all is well.
Thanks for your help!
Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

Thanks for the update - perhaps the crank ratchet pin hole was so worn, someone figured they would just shorten it up & re-drill the hole !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 11:21 am:

The basic lengths on the starting cranks were about the same for all years.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration