Tail light on only when car running?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tail light on only when car running?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

Does the tail or brake light come on when the car is fired up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

It shouldn't. Better check to make sure the wires are hooked up correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

The tail light wire should go through the switch and be on when in high or low beam. You will need a second wire to handle the brake light, through a brake switch. Do you have the T wiring diagram?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

Are you on battery or mag? If on battery, the lights should all come on with car running or not. Same with brake light when switch depressed. I can turn my lights on or off with the key out of the car. The key only directs the power source to the coils.

If you have magneto only, the car needs to be running, I presume to generate the power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

So sort of a separate question,...can I use the wire that operates the "tail light" and put a brake switch in line and call it a day? Seems like a no brained. I've inherited this car from my father and it looks like he might have had two wires one for a brake and one for a tail light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

Simply, nope.

Tail lamp at dusk has to run all the time.

Brake switch is a normally open switch, closes circuit when pedal is pushed.

For stock 6v T's, 1154 dual contact bulb, 3w/21w. You need to run two hot wires. One from dash switch marked 'tail' and one to brake switch off the battery yellow at the starter foot switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

got it! Thanks guys!!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration