Are oil slingers necessary when the flywheel has no magnets?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Are oil slingers necessary when the flywheel has no magnets?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

I bought a 26 RPU last week and am ripping into it now. When I went to see it, she wouldn't run on mag. I tested for output at the mag post right then and had nothing. The old fellow who owned it said she ran on mag a while ago, so I figured it was a minor issue. Well, I took the inspection cover off the pan to look at the rods tonight and saw that there are no magnets on the flywheel. Nor are there any oil slingers. Do I need to be concerned? Also, I'd like to put a big "Thank You" out to Mike Kosser for doing another production of the E-Timer. This Pickup is a perfect candidate for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

I removed the magnets from my speedster motor but kept the spools to throw oil. I ran it pretty hard and never had a problem with lack of oiling. Ran it that way for probably 15 years before breaking the second crank and switching over to an A crank with pressure to the mains.

Something for oil splash is good and the slingers may be better but spools worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Do you have a high volume oiler on the hogs head? If so, I'd say you're fine. If it only has the mag post oiler then I'd recommend getting the high volume one.

The magnets and the slingers mainly just turn the oil in the bottom of the pan into foam, they don't really "sling" the oil anywhere.

I have nothing against E-timers, but if you don't have magnets I'd recommend getting a high tension magneto like a Bosch DU-4 or similar. With one of those you have no need of a battery in order to run (it makes its own spark, so you can always hand crank the car even if battery is dead), it provides more accurate timing at high RPM single it's a single point setup, and it's a period correct accessory. Also, you maintain control of the manual spark advance.

I'm just a big fan of them in general. It's what Ford would've put on the T if he didn't have to pay the royalties to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

All it has is the typical mag post oiler with the copper line running forward. No dippers on the rods either. Everything around the crank was well covered in oil when I opened it up. Whenever this engine "needs" to come apart, I'll certainly put it back to original with magnets and the coil ring, but I want to drive it until then. I don't know anything about the Bosch mags, but I'll look into it. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

Going to both agree and disagree with Seth (with no offense intended). The outside oiler from the side of the hogshead is certainly a nice enhancement but magnets, spools or slingers alone will all serve to get oil to the original Ford funnel inside the hogshead which feeds oil to the front of the motor and back through the pan. T's ran an amazing number of miles without and external oil line. Of course I still like to add an outside oiler for extra flow and a bit of insurance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 11:23 pm:

I have been running our 13 for over 15 years with no slingers, magnets or posts. As part of the rebuild, added a 1/2" out side oil line from where the mag. post was once located to a fitting in the pan.
The bare flywheel does a great job pushing oil thru the out side oil line....you can not hold on to the oil line once the engine warms up.
With no slingers, magnets or posts, there is nothing to break off the flywheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 11:40 pm:

As usual it won't work for everyone.. There's one speedster in Canada that had repeated transmission failures when running without magnets or slingers. The cause was likely that it had an experimental full pressure oil system where the pump sucked most of the oil from the flywheel region so maybe the flywheel didn't have enough oil to sling around?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/355193.html?1366510858

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration