1926 Roadster Top Bow diminsions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1926 Roadster Top Bow diminsions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

Hi
I know I have seen this but have looked and cannot seem to find it again.
What is the dimensions of the top bows on a 26 Roadster? Mine looks like they have had a section added to them. I will try to get a picture to show what I am talking about.
The top material is in good shape but the stitching has rotted. Can a upholstery shop restitch the top? If not I want to make sure the bows are correct before ordering a top. Maybe the upholstery shop could use my top for a pattern if they cannot repair.
Thank in advance for any information you can provide.
Gerald

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 08:29 am:

Here is a picture. Hope you can see the section I that has been repaired

my picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 08:40 am:

Here are approx. dimensions for the '26-'27 runabout top wood bows and irons.

You might check with an upholstery shop on re-stitch, but cost will be about the same as purchase and install of new. The shop will have to pull off the top, re-stitch of the two main seams of the cover on the upper surface will be tough and time consuming to do.

May not work well at the seams since the original cover has needle holes at the old seam. If the seam stitching is gone from age, then other pieces like the bow drill covers and the top pads are likely deteriorated too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

where is a good place to buy a top kit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

Classtique:

https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

Decided that I was either going to fix it or make a new top myself. Took the top off and got out my Grandmothers old Treadle sewing machine and had a go at restitching it. So far I have the top section complete and ready to sew in a new window. Worked better than expected.

1926 Singer Sewing machine sewing top for a 1926 Model T Roadster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Thats pretty cool Gerald. I am trying to figure out the top on my 26. The dimentions in the photo are not matching mine. Did you measure sockets on yours per photo? If so were they the same? My post " 26 roadster top question has some photos and measurements of mine. Photos and measurements of yours with material off would really help if you have time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Great old machine and a great video! Thanks for sharing it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

I was going to sketch it up with dimensions for material. I just resewed what I had. The top was good the stitching just rotted. I did a rough measurement of the bows and they were not what was in the picture. That was why I just gave it a shot a restitching. I will get a better measurement of the bows when all the material is off. I will post some pictures with what I come up with maybe tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

The wood on mine is a little different than the picture Dan Posted. Top down on mine are 36.5, 37.5, 37.5. The metal frame rails are 29 like in the picture, the 40 1/8 on mine are 37 3/8, the 24 5/8 on mine are 22 1/5. Another reason I just restitched the top I had.

Dallas let me know what the dimensions of your top is when you have time please.

I will lay out the top this weekend and get a good measurement and pictures of the material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Gerald,
Front top bow between sockets measures metal to metal 32 7/8
Middle bow metal to metal 32 7/8
Rear bow metal to metal 32 5/8

The front socket measures 30 1/2
The middle is 25 1/8
The rear socket is 40
All measurements are from outside around bends

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration