Trailer tie down

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Trailer tie down
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 06:02 am:

Today I had some promotion work for Haigh's Chocolates, and I trailered the van to the shopping centre.

My trailer tilts, and I can drive a T up to the cross bar. A good handbrake will hold it there while I lower the deck. Otherwise, I drive it on up to the back wheels and winch it on the rest of the way.

My ratchet tiedowns are made specifically for the job, using shortened straps from damaged units.

They have light tension at the front, just enough to hold the tyres against the cross bar. There is no load on the wishbone or ball.

The rear tiedowns hold the car back and stop it moving sideways.

The load is kept on the wheel ends to avoid any load on the diff centre.

The key to the whole method is having the cross bar to run the T up against.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 11:30 am:

nice trailer, you made it? hydraulic tilt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 11:43 am:

i have to ask Allan, How is that front center strap wrapped???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

Steve, usually we have two straps around the axle outside of the spring perch so we don't pull on the centre of the axle and run the risk of bending it. I couldn't find the two linked straps in the trailer toolbox and used a pair slightly longer. I wrapped them around the axle once to lose a bit of that length. Not usual practise.

Clayton, that's the 5th one I have built. It has a VW 'climb the post' jack at the front, manually raised. I had a hydraulic ram and needle valve set-up made, but didn't make the reservoir large enough. The idea was to open the valve to tilt the trailer and then almost close it. Then I could drive the T on and allow the ram to bleed down on the weight of the car. It needs a little refinement.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

Looks good.
The only thing I would do differently would be to crosstie the rear straps with them being outside of the spring shackles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 06:53 am:

Fred, the rear straps are around the axle housing. If they were crossed, they would slip towards the centre of the diff. The front tiedowns are outboard from the perches.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration