Found a "New" source of vibration!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Found a "New" source of vibration!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:13 am:

On my 27 RPU I kept hearing this vibrating noise that was driving me nuts (I know it's a short journey). After checking all of the usual suspects my wife asked me if the screw holding the radiator apron to the motor mount was supposed to be loose...uh... no!placed a leather washer behind the apron and a little locktite on the screw. Ahhhh! peace at last.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:37 am:

G.R.,

Had a similar thing. A squeal coming from somewhere around the radiator mounts. Tried everything to silence it. Finally got ticked off and flooded each side with oil. Wiped off the excess, of which there was much, and squeal is gone! Victory!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:47 am:

I'm amused by folks using nylon timing gears to "eliminate noise" on a Model T. Really? You can hear the timing gear above all the other noise? :-)

I need somebody to drive my runabout on a country road while I try to track down the source of the high-pitched chirping rattle. The other noises are just background, but that one's annoying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:59 am:

Steve, it's probably your parakeet . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:10 am:

Betsy had an annoying rattle louder than all the others - turned out to be the mixture rod rattling around in the firewall slot. I cut a short piece of rubber and jammed it in the gap.

This allows me to hear the other rattles! Luckily, none of them reach the obnoxious level that the mixture rod did. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Meixner on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:10 am:

My 23 roadster has harmonics that set up a certain speed that causes the hood hold down springs to vibrate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Mine has no rattles at all! Sitting in the garage with engine off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 11:35 am:

My mother called are neighbors old ford a rattle trap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

My 23 has this horrible high pitched squeal at a certain RPM. At first I thought it was the fan hub but it turns out to be the thimble on the right side of the radiator shell mount. I'll try the leather washer idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

Eugene, If it WAS a "Rattle Trap" you wouldn't hear the rattles!!! I think the T is a Rattle Generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

My goodness....now that mine's running, all it does is rattle and squeak.

There was even squealing yesterday when we switched it to magneto for the first time and it kept running....but that was us doing the squealing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

The Model T was called a Flivver for a reason.

http://thecimmerian.com/2015/09/24/the-flivver-controversy-erupts/

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration