Trailer for my speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Trailer for my speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

I have a 12 X 6 trailer I would like to use to haul my T on the only problem is it is a single axle.Does anyone use a trailer this size? Mine is rated for more than the car weighs but the single axle is what I have questions about. Thanks for any input. Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

I take it this is an open trailer. providing the weight of the trailer and speedster is less than 80% of the rated weight of the axle you should be fine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

Sam, there was a good discussion on single vs double axle trailers in this thread from the beginning of the month. Hope this helps

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/742092.html?1491244723

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

I use a single axle trailer. it pulls just fine. I am careful with it and keep the speed down. It will ride a little rougher than a tandem. Make sure you have a spare tire or another person with you on the trips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Sam,

I use a single axle trailer to haul all my T's, Speedster included. Never a problem. It's a fairly light trailer, made only to haul T's. It swayed a bit when I first got it, but after I rearranged a few items and got the tongue weight corrected, it's been just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Mayne on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

I restored this T Trailer built for my Speedster in the '50's. The thing is heavy iron. If it is a later trailer go dual, if older and "built like they used to" then single axle is fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

Jake,

No springs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

Thanks to all, I feel much better now.
Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By D. R. Currier on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Mayne on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

Jerry, My gray trailer above has no springs. Looks like it was made that way. an overgrown tow dolly IMO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

Jake:

Your trailer is typical of what was built and used in the antique car hobby in the 1950s and 1960s.

My dad owned one that was built in the 1950s that was similar in design but substantially huskier/heavier than yours. I wish he still had it because it would be handy for my purposes (he sold it around 1980).

There are still a lot of them in use.

When those types of trailers were built, folks weren't going 75 mph down freeways four lane divided highways like people drive now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

Trailer works great. I added extra rails in the drop gate as the mesh tended to sag a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dana A. Crosby in Glendale, Az on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

Gary, what are the dimensions of your trailer? 6X12 perhaps? Thanks, Dana

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

6' x 12' trailer is perfect fit for a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 10:48 pm:

I have hauled my model t and model A Fords and racing sports cars all over Ca. The last 50 years with single axle trailers.
I keep good tires on my trailers with 36 lbs. air pressure and 150 lbs. tung w https://www.google.tung eight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 12:09 am:

Dana, Will have to check tomorrow. I've had it a couple years and don't remember exact dims. I'll also get the mfgr name and load capacity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 01:34 am:

For what its worth I recently purchased an enclosed 6X12 trailer in Phoenix. I trailered empty to the bay area via phoenix-vegas-death valley-bakersfield(ok the trailer got heavier there), Yosemite, and out to the bay area where it was loaded up with at least the weaight of a t speedster. Now I've trailered back thru CA, NV, AZ, and TX on my way to FL with no problems.

End story is that with some minor modification this will take a speedster perfectly. Im driving an '04 lincoln aviator aka explorer. It tows wonderfully easy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:22 am:

When I was racing my sand rail I had a spring-less singel axel trailer. It was low and light and worked wonderfully. We ran 70 mph all the time. Some of the guys had what you call a T trailer (not for model T's) that the front of the buggy just set on the long tongue and the rear wheels set into pockets. The only problem with spring-less type of trailers, is towing them with nothing on them, they will destroy them selves on real bumpy roads. When you tie down on all trailers, It is best not to limit the suspension of the hauled vehicle . Tie it down with the axles and or tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 10:18 am:

I pulled a sign axle trailer to the drag races for 10 years every weekend back in the 80s. Never a issue. Just keep the speed low,Good tires and well greased bearings. I have thought of building another even though I have a enclosed and a dove tail trailer now. If your not going far they are just easy to deal with and pull. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

Dana, Trailer is 6'4" X 12' inside the side rails. Mfgr is Gold Star Enterprises, Inc. Sikeston, MO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

I pull my 1911 openrunabout behind my fifth wheel trailer all the time long distance. Good bearings and 10 ply tires only. Highway speeds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dana A. Crosby in Glendale, Az on Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Thanks Gary....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration