Old Photo - Crown Carriage Company, Business Bodies For Business Men

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Crown Carriage Company, Business Bodies For Business Men
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 04:00 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

Looks like he covered all the bases cool pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

Jim,

That's what bodies do, they cover the bases. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

That is a great find. With all the variations we see, some authentic and some not, it's nice to see where some where really made.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

I wonder if the two heavy trucks pictured are Brockway chassis? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By D. R. Currier on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

Now that is wicked cool.. Thank you Jay for posting this pic..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

Trolley line closed down? jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

This is one of my favorite custom bodies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Well, that is nice! reminiscent of the "tulip bodied" Cadillacs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

i would say brockway is the owners name. not any thing to do with the truck co. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Later to become Crown Coach Corp., whose products many of us on the west coast rode to school in. Or drove to fires in. Crown went out of business in 1991. Their busses were arguably the most heavy-duty ones made. There are still many in service today.

crown

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:48 pm:

Sorry for the thread drift. Fire trucks are supposed to be red. Yellow rigs give me the creeps.

crown

Aaahh, much better. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Would Brockway have any connection to the Brockway Truck Co?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

Larry,

According to the Crown Coach website, D.M. Brockaway was not related to the Brockaway Motor Truck Company as Charley Shaver stated above.

The photo above posted by Jay was taken at their third location at 6th and San Julian near Downtown Los Angeles. This location is now in the very heart of Los Angeles' Skid Row. A Google search of that intersection will yield a very depressing "Street View".

The final location of Crown Coach Company was in Chino, CA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

Mike S.,

Depressing doesn't begin to describe it. Wow...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Brian, no need to apologize for a slight "drift"...you answered the question I had soon as I saw Jay's neat pic. Those Crown busses were built like tanks. I've always felt the school buses in particular were a bit ugly what with the rounded corners and such. They never seemed to change the style. Always looked like they were from the 50's, even in the 90's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:26 am:

Sorry for the misspelling of the name "Brockway".

Brian, I had many a ride in a Crown Coach school bus. The Downey Unified School District ran an entire fleet of them. The just liquidated the last of them about four years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 02:22 am:

Yep, Dunsmuir Elementary had at least one Crown, fairly old; we called it the "Rattling Coffin." On trip the brakes failed--the fail mode is full on, so we had to wait for the other bus to finish it's route and come pick us up. Some of us were close enough we just walked home. Things were a bit "looser" then!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 11:03 am:

Any fellow Crown Firecoach owners on the forum? We have F1350 a 1964 Crown from Olive, California (part of Orange County Fire). Darn near more fun than driving a Model Tů..but not quite! For the Midwest and East coast folks Crown Firecoaches were made from 1951 to about 1984. They were the "Royalty of Fire Engines" and the west coast equal to American LaFrance or Seagrave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

News of Evan's "new" fire truck spread like "wild fire" in our little town last week. Evan's status has gone from nice guy and good friend to local hero among the "old kids" who grew up lusting after these iconic Crown fire trucks so many years ago!

As a young boy growing up in SoCal, our elementary school would take field trips to various places in the L.A. area. One was the Helms Bakery, the other was the Crown factory. The donuts were nice but the Crown Factory was superlative!

Way to go Evan!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

I should have mentioned the other Bus my school had was a Gillig, until about 4th grade they bought a Ford bus--first school bus I ever saw with a hood on it! It was the "little bus" bought to pick up the Castella kids.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration