Weight on the hood

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Weight on the hood
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

I see these pictures with grown people, mostly women, sitting on the hood of a T. How much weight can a hood of a T stand before it starts to buckle?
I was always afraid letting the children straddle the hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

Well, they're fairly short, so maybe that helps, but I still wouldn't think it'd take much to buckle 'em. Frankly I have no intention of finding out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

I think we had this conversation before, remember all the people were thin back then

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

Don't do it. Almost every hood I've ever seen has the damage from doing this. Major work to repair this damage and damage from being forced open after years of sitting when restoring my 24

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

Just allow very thin very old lady's to sit on the hood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

OR Very thin very young supermodels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

It depends on just where and how you distribute the weight. Somewhere between thirty and a hundred pounds would be the range of weight the hood could support without damage. About half of all original hoods have damage from that abuse at some time in their past. Some of them, the damage can be straightened out nicely. Others, after hours of effort, damage can still be seen by someone that knows what to look for. Distorted nearly flat panels can be very difficult to get even again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Better yet,price the new ones. That should open your eyes.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration