TT Front Wheel Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: TT Front Wheel Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

I think someone researched this in the past but I cannot find the information. What was the spindle/hub setup for the TTs with 20 or 23 inch split ring rims/wheels on front? I thought it was done in Australia in 26 or 27 so all four demountables were the same size. Does anyone know if in fact it was done and if so are parts worth looking for. I suppose custom is doable but I am curious if the factory really made it work. Thanks for considering the question. TS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 12:48 am:

Tim all the later factory TT's models came with the 30x 3 1/5 clincher rims on the front, even Down Under. The pneumatic rims came soon after the early rims that had the Hard Rubber were used.(1920 I think)
The front hubs and rear hubs were all the same throughout production. Small ones with roller bearings in the front and the larger ones in the rear for the worm drive axles. I have seen what you are speaking of but they are not stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 01:57 am:

Yes, the front wheels were 30 x 3 clinchers, just like the cars, and used the same spindles. While ball bearings were originally used for the front wheels, Ford switched to Timken rollers for a reason. Some folks still like to use the ball bearings just to be original, but some of the parts aren't readily available. Maybe they can be found, but you can't just order them out of a catalogue like the Timkens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 04:27 am:

Tim, you are correct in stating that down under late trucks had the same heavy wheels at the front. In my youth I passed up on a TT like that, a good complete well cared for unit. Nobody wanted a slow old TT in those days.

I am not aware of any other modifications made to enable the fitment of the heavy wheels at the front. If they used car hubs, the spokes would have to have been different lengths.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 05:00 am:

Here's a thread from last year discussing the special versions of the TT truck that were sold in Australia: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/635179.html?1461230737

The large front wheels were standard from July 1925 until end of TT sales in march 1929(!)

ttt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 10:52 am:

" .... Nobody wanted a slow old TT in those days. "

=========================================

Whaddya mean ? Nobody wants them now either, ....

..... except a bunch of sickos and whack jobs ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

thanks for the input from you guys. it helps and I will file it away. not high on my list to chase but is something I may try to sort out one day. it was obviously an option from what you shared. yes Burger I too, am finding we tt owners see the world through a different set of goggles sometimes. Logic does not always apply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

Tim, that's an interesting front axle on your TT. Does it help on those icy Florida roads?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

Steve, swamps and sugar sand! that "axle" has added some degree of difficulty in going through the truck but been fun. I have learned a bunch about T's doing this. I suppose a nice 10ft gator with tail hanging out the back might look ok. hope Peta is not offended.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration