OT - Health Care ideas.............

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Health Care ideas.............
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

Sorry to bring this up, but I suspect there are many on this forum buying health insurance "on the market."

My divorce should become effective mid-May, and Nebraska allows a spouse (ex) to remain insured for six months on the spouse's policy. Unfortunately, my (almost ex) spouse's carrier ends coverage on the date the divorce is final.

What choices are out there for an early 60's person? I anticipate buying a high deductible....

Thanks for any ideas,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

Get an extremely large woman with, cash, a big house, and a desire to please her man....gifts of cars, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

And don't forget that she must also have a large garage/shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

I have been very happy with Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield here in Missouri - I purchased one of their "Lumenos HSA Plus" plans before Obamacare kicked in. I don't know if you can still get it.

My plan has a $5000.00 deductible, so I make sure that I have at least that much in my Health Savings Account (HSA) to cover it.

https://www.anthem.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

Rob,
I believe I heard that you were in the crop insurance industry. If that's true (or I'm close), you have a good idea of how insurance works.
Buying on the open market (and not a member of a large group policy) is going to cost you much higher premiums, if you are accepted at all due to prior existing conditions and treatments.
Being in your early 60's, I think the best option would be to join Covered Care (Obama Care, what ever it is called in Nebraska, or whatever it is going to become!). As a retired practitioner, I admit it's terrible and getting worse. But I think it's your best choice now, until you qualify for Medicare at 65.
I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of my Medicare treatment. I had a period of time between retirement and Medicare coverage where I was paying for private health insurance at over $1000/month premiums with $20,000 deductible and NO prior existing conditions (California)!
If you don't foresee any large medical bills coming before age 65, I think the "Covered Care" route is your best option now.
Just my 2 cents worth! Good luck Rob, and very sorry to hear about your divorce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

Mark,
Thanks. I started the online quote and learned they aren't in Nebraska.... :-(
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

Check with the VA. Your Uncle Sam may still owe you benefits as a thank you for the blank check on your life that you wrote him all those years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

Prior to 2009 I worked for one of the largest home builders in the US with a company health insurance plan. When the housing crisis hit, and they let most of the people go, I bought a health insurance plan for the family through my State Farm insurance agent instead of paying the higher COBRA premiums. She told me a few years ago that they have no health care plan to sell now due to Obamacare. I kept that plan for 2 years then found a plan on ehealthinsurance.com through Blue Cross. They no longer sell a policy in Arizona. I now go through the healthcare market place as that is the only option in Arizona and there is only one insurance plan that is available there. If you don't qualify for the subsidy the premiums are much higher than the the old system. I was paying about $150 a month for a very basic high deductible plan, now the similar plan is $665 a month. One thing that President Trump wanted to change is that every state has its own plans. You cannot go across state lines for a better plan.
A divorce is considered a life changing event that would allow you to buy a plan without it being the first of the year. One of the few good thing about Obamacare is that you cannot be turned down for pre-existing conditions.
Sorry to hear that you are getting divorced. Keep the stress level down by taking the Model K for a drive whenever you can. I did enjoy seeing it at the OCF last year. Thanks for taking it there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

I know nothing about who sells what where these days, but here are some resources that might help your search.

1. Nebraska Insurance Department. They probably won't recommend a carrier, but they can give you list of health insurers licensed in the state.

2. AARP. I know they broker Medicare supplements for people over 65. They may have products they recommend for younger people. They are NOT impartial, but that doesn't mean that what they recommend isn't a decent product.

3. Consumer Reports. They do surveys on this and many other things from time to time. They pretty well are impartial, but the health care business is changing so fast these days that their recommendation may not have much of a shelf life. If you're not a CR subscriber, your local library probably gets the magazine. I don't know what their online presence is for non-subscribers.

Good luck in your search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

Rob,We just came from talking to the V A. Don't get your hopes up too high. Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

Had bluecross blueshield for years. Never used it. 5000 deductable. After Obama got done,it went up about $100 a year till I was paying $800 a month. Went on wifes Insurance last year. Now its $463 a month for both. I dont know where to tell you to look. We are both under 50 and no health issues. Free market would be best but thats gone. Glad to hear your doing well. Like to see your videos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

You need to remember that Rob has 2 beautiful daughters to cover unless the divorce decree says mom covers them. Some financial advisor firms also provide health insurance, or just talk to your local friendly independent agency. Maybe you can go back to work part time and be covered at the crop ins company you founded. Lots of options out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Sorry to hear the impending settlement. I had hoped that somehow that would not happen, and the family would survive that challenge.
Good Luck in finding an Insurance solution - not easy these days...
Are you a member of a Farmer's Group that offers coverage for their members? How about the company that brokers your crops? Perhaps the company that buys your crops has some sort of "fraternal" organization that you can join to obtain coverage.
Try to find a group, a club, some sort of organization that has members aligned with your interests, and join that group - for friendship, camaraderie, and possibly insurance coverage.
Unfortunately, I have not read anywhere that the MTFCA (or MTFCI, either) has a group policy.
If the VA is not an option, you need to find a group to avoid a "solo" policy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

I am very lucky to have a great bride and few health problems at seventy four. Had a colon check a few months past with a 13K bill no copay. No bill has come. A few weeks past a high test doctor checked every thing possible with a clean health report no bill yet. It seems if you are not on Medicare hang on to your shorts. Best luck with your health care issue Rob!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

Anja and I became self-employed in about 1992. The company she had worked for previously offered health insurance via Anthem BC/BS. We simply continued that on a private basis. Not cheap, as I recall, but protected us and the kids. In 2008, I was already on Medicare but she was five years away. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor in October 2008, had surgery, radiation and chemo for a year. Insurance covered all but the deductible. She had about three good years and the tumor came back in 2011. Another surgery and more chemo. Again all paid but the deductible. The last time it returned, she had been on Medicare for a few months, but it was academic. The applicable rule is, "The brain tumor always wins in the end." My Medicare Supplement plan is also with Anthem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

Rob -- My health care is through the VA, and it's wonderful. If I had to pay for health insurance, i couldn't afford to do anything else, including playing with old cars. Since you are a vet, check into enrolling into VA health care. Your income, which is way above mine, may not qualify you for these benefits but it's worth askng about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:25 am:

The good news is that whatever you get doesn't have to be long-term, as you're close to Medicare age. So far it's been great for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:38 am:

Be careful of thinking that if you qualify for and obtain access to VA medical care that your worries are over. I have VA medical care and when I first enrolled I had a talk with a VA advisor. I made a comment about having such great coverage. His response was that the VA system is a "health care provider" NOT AN INSURANCE PLAN.

He went on to explain that once you're enrolled you can get pretty much whatever you need as long as you can access a VA medical facility. However, if you become ill or are injured and are taken to a non-VA facility you could be on the hook for the whole bill. There is a policy and process to get the VA to pay such non-VA emergency costs, but the criteria are specific and applications are not universally approved.

Of course, it's easily possible to live to be 100 years old and never experience a non-covered event. IMHO luck plays a large roll in the process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 11:55 am:

I got in the VA a few years ago.I am very satisfied.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

All I know is that Covered California is the most disorganized agency I've ever had to deal with and they have managed to screw up my "subsidy" every year so I get a big bill to the IRS in April. Next year I go on medi-care, I hope that will be more stable!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration